Sprint, Best Buy: Get Netbook for $1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Course there's a gimmick. For those who already want a netbook, and already want a cellular data plan, this could be a win-win.

Unfortunately though, BestBuy will probably talk numerous folks into the deal who will later realize they had no use for a contract based Sprint cellular data plan service. They'll end up using it at home only, and wish they just connected it to their wi-fi or LAN and bought the netbook for $389.

But like I said, could be a win-win for some folks.

My fear would be (having worked at Best Buy years ago) employees will push folks to buy the bundle because it counts toward their department's attachment goals. They (the employee) get no commissions from it, but it makes their boss happy. I can see lots of folks buying into this that don't really need it.

G

"Normally the netbook retails for $389.99 without any additional service; a Sprint subscription ultimately will cost consumers $1440 overall." So, this same deal will ultimately cost at&t and verzion customers $1440 + $199.99, the sprint deal sounds better to me.

joex444

Distinguished
I love the quality of this article. It really strikes me as a well-written professional article someone should be paid to write.

Lines like "the price tag comes with a price" is pure genius. Really, Kevin should be writing comedy for the big stars not this small time THG gig.

And who can forget the classic tag line, "Best Buy has a cool plan that offer's ..." complete with that standard Kevin disregard for the appropriate use of apostrophes.

Not to mention the technical analysis of what a $1440 purchase spread out over 2 years is really worth, when one considers the opportunity cost associated with that purchase (hint guys: it is less than $1440). There was some serious insight gained there.

My favorite part of the article, though? Tough one, but I would go with " 2-year EVDO Rev.A data service with Sprint that will cost around $60." That's right boys and girls. Kevin here has, in such great comic fashion, thrown units away! What once was $60/mo is now just $60.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]IronRyan21[/nom]This looks like Retail Stores are following the Gas Companies on price notation, like 2.65 and 9/10 of a cent. LOL[/citation]

How did that kind of pricing ever fly in the first place?

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Woah Mr. Kevin Parrish you should correct your grammar mistakes ASAP or you will see some massive flaming comments about your unique writing skills.

"Oh look a huge writing blooper >> (looking at the article header) , OH it's ok it's just Mr. Parrish"

As someone said, this will be ideal for certain people because it meets certain conditions that customers are currently looking for. Again, this contract could be a nice friend or "die in hell" foe.

On a side note: Mr. Kevin the news are always welcome, but for THG's sake, there is proofreading to be done when the article is finished.
Otherwise, the e-writing bashing will continue, cause the grammar bloodshed you're having here.

Anyways, Keep up the good work +1
PD: But -1 for the mistakes.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]Editor please?

So... are we supposed to be happy about the vice grip on our balls (contracts) by the likes of Spring, AT&T, and Verizon?[/citation]

Editor please? lol Why correct mistakes if you're prone to make them as well?

G

That is ridiculously expensive EVDO, especially with the 5gb quota.

reasonablevoice

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Did you mention the data caps that exist (actually, I think you did), and the overages that people can ring up since most of the time the sales people don't really explain to you what the charges are, or how to avoid them, or anything like that?

I read about one woman who was sueing b/c her first bill was $5000, she had gone way over her 5gb cap. Normally I'm a big personal responsibility guy, but there is no way she understood the terms of her service fully and then went onto acquire that kind of bill. I really think it is a bit of misrepresentation going on by the people who are actually selling these plans to people in the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.