Sprint CEO Calls T-Mobile's 'Uncarrier' Plans Misleading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2015
Here in Canada I end up paying 85$ a month for my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge with a 2 year contract and if I break the contract early I end up paying up to 500$ penalty fee depending on how long I had left on the contract....

Please tell me more about how 27$/month is high for a high end phone u can change up to 3 times a year!!!

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
nevermind the fact that when you're making your phone payments and you use a JUMP! upgrade you turn in your old phone and that fee goes away so long as your old phone isn't beat to hell and back. I waited on my G2 for the G4, same payment per month as the G2 was, then got the remaining payments ($150 worth) credited from turning in my non-abused phone. your rates only go up if you went to a more expensive phone or fail to trade in your old one. that might be a bit too math-intensive for Marcello's cromagnon forehead.

stevenrix

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I'm on T-Mobile network, I pay around $82 a month for unlimited everything (and 7Tb for tethering data). That said, the network sucks big time, I've done a video on T-Mobile network in my area, just check youtube with the keyword "T-Mobile unreliable network" and you are going to see how bad of a joke that is. I also opened trouble tickets with them and they said they were upgrading their network and stuff, always the same comments but no change for me. Luckily I am no locked into a contract so I might just get the hell out of this operator.
ATT network is better in my area but they don't offer as much as T-Mobile ($80 for unlimited everything with 3 Tb of tethering). A few months ago I was paying more than that and everything was limited (to 700 minutes, but with 5 Tb of Internet for $99 a month).
Prices are steadily decreasing since T-Mobile entered the US market, otherwise we would have been screwed for a while with bad service and slow speed, but it's still bad.
I use more my phone for data than talking though ^_^

Silent Ricochet

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
As a customer that just switched from Sprint to T-Mobile, I can safely say this dude is just mad that his company sucks. From support to coverage and speeds, the amount they charge, which I'll admit is less than most others, is still too much.

I paid $0 to get a brand new HTC One M9 and have loved my new device and network ever since. I now pay close to $70 a month with insurance, more data than I'll ever need, unlimited everything else and their weird Edge program that allows me to get a new phone whenever I want. Oh, and I get to actually send texts, make phone calls (WiFi Calling!) and browse the internet on LTE. Please, Sprint, explain to me how T-Mobile is a ripoff and not your crappy service.

tsumeone

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Well, Marcelo is not wrong. T-Mobile's pricing can be confusing and misleading, although to a much lesser degree than AT&T and Verizon. Legere has also shown he is willing to sell the company to basically anyone willing to buy. He was trying to sell to Sprint not too long ago.

These types of high profile disputes are really to both of their advantage, as now both Sprint and T-Mobile have gotten free press from it. The same thing happened back in February with Sprint's superbowl commercial. Legere made a rude comment, and Claure responded about "Taking the high road" and Legere got really mad. Now it's the other way around, sorta.

tsumeone

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
As a customer that just switched from Sprint to T-Mobile, I can safely say this dude is just mad that his company sucks. From support to coverage and speeds, the amount they charge, which I'll admit is less than most others, is still too much.

I paid $0 to get a brand new HTC One M9 and have loved my new device and network ever since. I now pay close to $70 a month with insurance, more data than I'll ever need, unlimited everything else and their weird Edge program that allows me to get a new phone whenever I want. Oh, and I get to actually send texts, make phone calls (WiFi Calling!) and browse the internet on LTE. Please, Sprint, explain to me how T-Mobile is a ripoff and not your crappy service.

Sprint has had Wi-Fi calling for a while now. And where I live, it took T-Mobile a full year to activate their first LTE tower after Sprint finished upgrading us. They are still playing catch up on coverage. It really depends on your area as to what carrier is better.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Here in Canada I end up paying 85$ a month for my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge with a 2 year contract and if I break the contract early I end up paying up to 500$ penalty fee depending on how long I had left on the contract....

Please tell me more about how 27$/month is high for a high end phone u can change up to 3 times a year!!!
There seems to be a misunderstanding here. $27/month pays for the phone by itself, not the service. Your $85/month is your total bill each month, right? T-Mobile's service is $50/month, plus whatever extra to pay for the phone you picked out. So with taxes, it would be about the same.

I'm not sure what the rationale is for changing the monthly bill from $15 to $27, though... my understanding was that when you "jump" to a new phone you hand in your handset (and whatever credit you had accumulated toward owning it) and start a new lease contract on whatever other handset you pick out. Anyone know exactly what Marcello is talking about?

RobWilJas

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Here's what he's talking about:

Right now with T-mobile if you trade in your current smart phone you can get an iPhone 6 for $15 per month instead of the usual $27 per month. It's basically a $12 per month credit for trading in your current smart phone. When you jump to a new phone, that credit ends, so you go back to the normal price. If the next iPhone is the same price that the iPhone 6 is now, then your new iPhone will be $27 per month. T-mobile is not hiding this, he's just being a jackass.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Status
Not open for further replies.