alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
here is what i have been told.

the guy who made ff11 made this game
ff11 started to fail so a new guy took over when the creator did 14
ff11 rebounded and everyone was happy
guy finished 14 it bombed hard
new guy went to 14 and old guy went to 11 and retconed every change people liked

from my understanding the old person is now no longer working on any ff game. and the new ff14 is from the guy who improved ff11 to the point that a dieing mmo got new players to join.

i cant say much of the quality, but i know a crap ton got changed, it would need to be re reviewed to have a proper opinion on it at this point.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I will never go back to subscription base mmo. GW2 already proven that 1 time paying $60 = still get AAA quality MMO. i wont be going for anything less than price/quality of GW2.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]I will never go back to subscription base mmo. GW2 already proven that 1 time paying $60 = still get AAA quality MMO. i wont be going for anything less than price/quality of GW2.[/citation]

though i like guild wars 2 more than ff14, give guild wars time, and than you will see what you really get for not spending any extra money.

i don't know the cost server side for an mmo, but that was one of the contributing things that made me ok with 10 to 15$ a month, knowing a hell of allot more than what happens in a fps is going on.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
All the changes seem exceedingly positive and should lower the learning curve / start up time for getting into the game. I'll give it another shot.

I'm hoping they open at least a 7 day free trial period. I don't mind subs but I like to be able to stick my toe in the water first before I drop money on one.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]though i like guild wars 2 more than ff14, give guild wars time, and than you will see what you really get for not spending any extra money.i don't know the cost server side for an mmo, but that was one of the contributing things that made me ok with 10 to 15$ a month, knowing a hell of allot more than what happens in a fps is going on.[/citation]which is what I am holding off GW2 now. 12 months should be more than enough to see if it live up its hype. May be 12-24monhts from now it wont be costing $60.

Sorry I am too use to Steam cheap sales game.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
After FF XIII and XIV I will no longer purchase Square Enix at launch. I still haven't forgot what they did with Dungeon Siege 3.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]which is what I am holding off GW2 now. 12 months should be more than enough to see if it live up its hype. May be 12-24monhts from now it wont be costing $60. Sorry I am too use to Steam cheap sales game.[/citation]

if you like mmos, guild wars is well worth the money, that there is no doubt.
what i mean is will content continually be bade and tweaked for it, will patches that add content come out, world events things like that, or will it be treated as a finished game and sit and so long as profit money keeps the servers up it will stay going.

guild wars 1 was little more than a small party and a hub world kind of like diablos, and this is an actual mmo.

and from what i know, you probably will want to get in on this eairly... even though they do have features for people who want to go back to low content with their characters.

sonofjenova7

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]though i like guild wars 2 more than ff14, give guild wars time, and than you will see what you really get for not spending any extra money.i don't know the cost server side for an mmo, but that was one of the contributing things that made me ok with 10 to 15$ a month, knowing a hell of allot more than what happens in a fps is going on.[/citation]

GW2 has an in-game cash shop that is making them a lot of money. They will also be selling expansions. Their model is to make the player enjoy the game enough for them to buy an expansion or spend money on the cash shop. Of course, their cash shop uses gems would could also be bought with in-game gold, but the fact that there is no subscription already improves sales for those who don't like paying to play.

marthisdil

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]Who says you cant play GW2 and FFXIV? Anyway, I am looking forward to the relaunch.[/citation]
Nothing says you can't.

Enjoy your $15 a month expense for a game that was so crappy they had to totally rework it.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Yeah, would have been interesting news if it didn't have to go up against GW2. I'm sure the new lead could have brought this game out of the gutter had they put him in charge to begin with. Too little too late.

Also, GW2 is going to make plenty of money. They didn't invent the cash shop model. There are plenty of F2P with cash shop games out that dont even require an initial purchase. All you need is the right incentive to buy CS items and you'll make far more than a monthly sub gets you. Rich kids spend hundreds every time they need new gear.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]I will never go back to subscription base mmo. GW2 already proven that 1 time paying $60 = still get AAA quality MMO. i wont be going for anything less than price/quality of GW2.[/citation]

Your lost enjoy your massive instancing.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Your lost enjoy your massive instancing.[/citation]

I guess you must be talking about the Overflow server issue... which isn't a problem anymore... there's still overflow instances, yes, but they don't effect anyone in a negative way anymore, and the world feels very populated and alive compared to, for example, SWTOR's over-instanced world. When the overflow instances were an issue, there was such a huge amount of concurrent players that other MMOs would have suffered crashes, lag issues, and huge queue times. GW2 had none of that. The Trade Post is also running well now, btw, despite handling an absolutely absurd amount of transactions. Anyone that was actually playing during GW2's launch could affirm that it went pretty smoothly, actually.

The game itself is outstanding. Probably the most intuitive, well thought out, polished MMO I've ever seen. It's a freaking marvel, really. I started to add up all these little touches they made to make the player experience better, and hit a point where I was actually in a bit of shock. You stare at it realizing, "Wow, this is the new high standard. No one has done it this well before."
- I've asked in the general chat (map chat in GW2), if ANYONE regretted their purchase of GW2, and couldn't find a sole. No one.

Meanwhile, when I took a look at FF14, people were getting lost trying to find the exit to the starter city, and openly volunteering their opinion that the game was a total POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.