Square Enix 'Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age' Arrives On PS4 In 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycalex

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
release, after release, after re-release........

square ain't what it used to be.

should really finish up xenogears properly and release that in HD instead.

a sequel to final fantasy tactics would do wonders as well.

Kimonajane

Commendable
May 24, 2016
FF XII was my favorite I just hope they didn't change the combat system and the gambits to customize the AI is there too.

beshonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Yeah, Xenogears should really be done properly. Including bringing back that combat system. Seems like they're skipping the 'active turn based' style of Xenogears and going straight to action RPG, and I think that's a mistake. Xenogears had the best combat system out of any JRPG i've ever played, followed closely by Chrono Trigger.

Vosgy

Honorable
Nov 24, 2014
Yeah, Xenogears should really be done properly. Including bringing back that combat system. Seems like they're skipping the 'active turn based' style of Xenogears and going straight to action RPG, and I think that's a mistake. Xenogears had the best combat system out of any JRPG i've ever played, followed closely by Chrono Trigger.
You must have never played Grandia 2 then, it's on Steam go check it out, lots of people think it is the best RPG combat system to ever exist myself included.

I absolutely hated XII. Once you had the right gambit setup you could literally walk through the game just pausing for the occasional battle. It made things so boring.
Conversely, if you did not do almost every single side mission, then you could not level up enough to get through early parts of the story.
Plus, the graphics were awful! Everything was rendered in little blocks that rarely lined up together properly, and it was painful to look at. Granted, it was on the PS2, so it is somewhat surprising that it worked at all. Should have been a PS3 title.

But, if they fix the rendering engine, re-balance the early game play, and make gambits more interesting and involving, then I might give it another shot when it eventually comes out on PC. At least they had a somewhat interesting story and world to explore... just need to fix the 'game' part of the game.

I'm inclined to agree. I didn't know about the different rendering, I thought the different art style is what made it look that way. And I agree, the early battles were horribly tough. Coming from FFX ( that was a fantastic combat system ) meant a very steep learning curve. I was always struggling with money to buy the licenses and couldn't get things ticking along well.

Vosgy

Honorable
Nov 24, 2014

I personally found X's system to be boring, it made the game far too easy as it gave too perfect knowledge on turn order.

Now as for Gambits making the game too easy, you can literally not use them and then you have to issue every order in the game making it more like the older titles. It is really just there for more options, and to make grinding easy :p

Status
Not open for further replies.