Square Enix Games Will Now Focus on Core Gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Free2play_noobs

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
Who cares about their crappy Kingdom of Hearts & Final Fantasy.Eidos is the real boss & their IPs .& I just want to see them separate from Square.because Square is destroying them by Square's delusional unrealistic goal Thief,Project IGI,Deus Ex what a memory .Those ,Just Cause,Tomb Raider ,Sleeping Dogs are the franchise that i want to see in continuation.

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
It's good they're coming out individually and acknowledging their mistakes; I admire that. It's better than the pure ignorance and arrogance thus far. Nadella has been doing the same with Microsoft, so it's been a good run this week in my opinion.They have been more hit & miss--more of the latter however. Sleeping Dogs was very good and so was Deus Ex: HR. The rest though I couldn't care for at all (I've been meaning to try out Tomb Raider though since a sale ages ago). Hitman: Absolution was sort of the game that had me lose any faith in them at all; I wouldn't have ever bought it but a friend decided to buy it for me.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I feel the whole 'focusing on an audience' is where gamecompanies make a wrong turn.Either the game is engaging and fun or it isn't. Regardless of audience.Focusing on an audience limits what you can do with a game and hence, limits the fun, the crazy but brilliant ideas etc.

They need to focus on making fun engrossing JRPG's instead of these pseudo sci-fi games that the FF franchise has turned into. The jobs system is the core of FF, it's the whole reason the original Final Fantasy was so popular and saved their company. People still love that style of gaming, Bravely Default is an old school FF game in all but name and it's stupendously popular. Story lines with real character development and an easily identifiable "bad guy" are what made their older games so popular and fun. That and large amounts of stat whoring.

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
They need to focus on making fun engrossing JRPG's instead of these pseudo sci-fi games that the FF franchise has turned into. The jobs system is the core of FF, it's the whole reason the original Final Fantasy was so popular and saved their company. People still love that style of gaming, Bravely Default is an old school FF game in all but name and it's stupendously popular. Story lines with real character development and an easily identifiable "bad guy" are what made their older games so popular and fun. That and large amounts of stat whoring.
Truth.

Those are platforms not audiences. I happen to have all three.

What they are talking about is to stop trying to make generic games with features that appeal to multiple markets and instead focus each franchise on the game-play style it is best suited for. For Final Fantasy it means a return to hard core turn based or ATB JRPG mechanics where you have a central group of characters that embark on a quest to default "the big bad" and save the world. For SoM it means a return to action RPG mechanics mechanics that involve co-op battles. For games like TR it would be a 3D action platform with small elements of puzzles as you advance through some dangerous dungeon or another. Kingdom Hearts would be a JRPG with a lighter tone and gentler theme, more casual and less mechanics focused then the FF series.

SE has been making the horrible mistake of thinking western gamers have radically different tastes then Japanese gamers and trying to make products for what they think are "western tastes", it's been failing miserably. SE isn't a western game developer, they need to stick to what they do best and just open sales up outside of Japan as gamers across the world will buy their products specifically for that flavor.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
If they're holding up the newest Hitman as an example of their biggest failures, then it is very clear that they have no clue how to succeed.

theje

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
So does this mean we're going to get the 3DS-esque remake of FF6 that we're all begging for? :D :D :Dhint hint

theje

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Naw, Square admitted they won't do a FF7 remake until they make a better Final Fantasy, which leaves FF6 remake still on the table.

They really need to stop doing high SF pseudo-modern day games with goth elements in them, we aren't hormone ridden teenagers anymore. Teenage angst with father figures filled with unreasonable expectations can only power a game series for so long. Spin that off into it's own franchise so we can get back to sword & sorcery, knight and mage style fantasy RPG's.

And I hope they stop the development on FFXV and return to the drawing board as it looks to just be another FFXIII clone that's nothing more then a mildly interactive motion picture with really poor acting.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
stop wasting huge advertising bucks on unreleated area and cut the development cost, then u dont have to set unrealistic sales goal. Seriously RPG Games ads on billboard/sport games? this is waste of money. I have seen ubisoft put Assasin creed ads on UFC boxing game lol Thats where I realise I should stop buying Assasin creed.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think the core issue has more to do with 3 million copies not being enough. There was a time when selling over 1 million copies was a great achievement. The cost of producing the product is too expensive when you expect more than 3 million copies sold.The other issue with square-enix is that they are constantly neutering their sales by refusing to release on different platforms. They lock some games for a moderately sized platform like the PSP which is why they will see issues in sales numbers when you are only selling to less than 5% of the potential market.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I'm all for a company trying to get back to it's roots. Bring back the old school Squaresoft legacy! As long as they stop making their FF series into movies with a few button inputs I'll be happy.

As a personal note, I've been waiting since 1997 for a great successor to Final Fantasy Tactics. WotL was a good start but I want more of that old school turn based tactical RPG.

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

That's Marketing 101, plus works for nearly everything else. Look at the successful series' over the past 20 years, like Metal Gear Solid. It focuses on a very specific audience, and has done very well for each canon game released. Now look at the recent Capcom games. Why was RE5 relatively poor compared to earlier ones in the series? They tried to appeal to everyone and didn't focus in on what was really important; that only got tremendously worse with RE6.

It's like doing a research paper. "I want to write about the history of North America." It's far too broad and unfocused--just setting yourself up for a big fall.

Sep 22, 2013
I'm sorry, but Hitman has always been a B-level series. That said, I'd love to see another Final Fantasy that goes back to the roots of the FFVII days of turn-based classics. Give me that an some Chrono Trigger on a modern platform (especially PC) and I'll be giddy as a school kid.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

I am at least hoping that a FFVI remake will have FFX graphics, they did really well with that and it's not necessary to put a whole lot of detail in to the game.

Yep, i have been wanting one too since the VII remake, Crisis Core was good but now i hope that SquareEnix can finish the job...

IMO the early FF games (before FFVII) was the best because it was more strategy than just messing around with your inventory for an hour. The problem with FF games now is the stories are pretty much the same with every game, different look and scenarios, but the premise of the game is still pretty much the same. The games are more linear and straight forward without proper side quests. FFX was fun but wasn't exactly entertaining either, again it was another straight forward game. FFXII was pretty decent, though it was quite different and again the story wasn't all that great imo. It felt like a cheap knockoff of FFIV. FFXIII i thought was fairly good for the most part, the graphics were fantastic and the story premise was pretty good, it almost felt like a FF game until you realize how bad some of the characters were and the constant linear path, never mind even the sidequests, primarily the monster hunt was so boring, it was like you were redoing the same thing over and over again it was just not good imo. XIII-2, i just got tired of playing it, not really sure why it was fairly good and had a pretty decent story but yet somewhere down the line i just stopped playing it.

I wanted to get Versus XIII (which is under a different name now), but after hearing they are doing it for the PS4 only made me a little ticked off considering i have been waiting since '06 for that game to be released and they never finished it. Instead they wanted to release XIII-2 and XIII-3. I'd like to have more games in the vein of Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, FFIV, VI, and VII. Those are the real gems imo. They did fairly well with Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus was pretty meh imo but it wasn't all bad. I would have played Before Crisis, but that's only available for mobile and i don't think that game was even released in the States anyhow. That kinda annoyed me as well, but i was able to watch a translated version of the story on youtube.

I'm not sure what was with the tactics with that, but they would have made far more money by releasing those games on multiple platforms. I certainly would have gotten Before Crisis if it was available for PSP or even the DS. Hopefully they can rekindle the series before it becomes forgotten and i think they need to amp up the stories. I feel like they are all the same now.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
most especially Final Fantasy series. This isnt the Final Fantasy we know.
Final Fantasy has gone through many iterations over the years. The first Final Fantasy is nowhere close to Final Fantasy IX in terms of gameplay, the series has evolved.That said, Square Enix for many years now has been losing people because they focused too much on 'casual gaming' like it was going to be the be-all, end-all.

fatalsyndrom

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
Who cares about their crappy Kingdom of Hearts & Final Fantasy.Eidos is the real boss & their IPs .& I just want to see them separate from Square.because Square is destroying them by Square's delusional unrealistic goal Thief,Project IGI,Deus Ex what a memory .Those ,Just Cause,Tomb Raider ,Sleeping Dogs are the franchise that i want to see in continuation.
Down vote for awful grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.