Square Enix Offers Refunds, Halts Sales For Mac Version Of 'Final Fantasy XIV'

Status
Not open for further replies.

I call that the "Blizzard Principle." Blizzard's titles are usually delayed, but they're almost always solid when they finally get released ( at least before the Activision marriage ).

The problem is that a dev studio needs to earn some credit with their audience that the delays make it worth it. If you delay a game but it comes out rock solid, people tend to give you the benefit of the doubt for future releases. If you delay a title and it's still problematic when it comes out, you're sunk.

Then add in the problem of the distributor/publisher. They're fronting the money for the game, meaning they have a lot of say over what the dev studio does. If the dev tells the publisher a game isn't ready, but the publisher says release it anyway, the studio has to decide whether to ship a buggy game or to default on a contract. Choice 1 means they still get paid to feed their families, even if gamers don't like them much for it.

However, the problem is that there's no significant consequence for the publishers or studios for releasing crappy stuff. Gamers have bought into the whole pre-order and season pass concept. They're giving money to the publisher before the product is even done. And when the problems inevitably come, the gamers will rant and rave and say they hate EA or Ubi. But EA and Ubi probably don't care much because they already have your money. And those gamers who said they'll never purchase another title from that publisher will still pre-order Battlefield 9 or Call of Duty 7 or Assassin's Creed 10.

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
@RedJaron You need to understand that the majority of Developers have to follow orders from the people that write their pay cheques. Hence, their lack of control on the release dates and rushed deadlines. As a result of this; many devs put in PERSONAL hours (voluntary no pay hours outside of work hours) to fix bugs and optimize code, however this is NOT enough due to how rushed some projects have become nowadays. You have to keep in mind that not every company/publisher has the standard, resources nor patience as Blizzard (While they're still doing great, they definitely lost some of their touch since Activisioon took over; just my opinion). It's a shame where this industry is headed...

Takasis007

Honorable
Feb 3, 2015
Wait wait wait.... Hold the Phone, the Blizzard approach?? Please for the love of god don't do that..... Have you ever had to deal with content patches for World of Warcraft? It is painful, very, very, very painful.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Square-Enix: "Turns out Macs suck"
lol what do they expect when the majority of Mac users have an Intel IGP and have no idea what graphics performance is.

manitoublack

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Run Bootcamp, play in native DirectX. Problem solved. That way no performance hit from the port and it works right away.

Silly mac gamers
Jordan

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
PC Gamers have enough trouble with the console ports. Please don't further the problem by porting to MAC. Mac isn't for games, has never been, and will probably not be for a long time.

Right, that's basically what I said. The dev team usually has no control over release dates and is at the mercy of the financiers. They may try everything they can to fix problems before a premature launch, but it doesn't change the fact that it was rushed. I also said that a dev team has to develop sizable credit with their audience ( which includes the financiers, ) before they get any credence before the publisher would give them that option.

Doesn't make any difference. Whether it's a third-party company or the guy working two floors up that calls for a premature release, a dev team can't exactly hold the code hostage unles they want to be taken to court. I imagine it could actually be worse when everything is in-house. If I'm an independent game designer and I disagree with the publisher on a release date, the worst the happens is I have to find a different publisher for the next game. But if I'm a team lead at Square and I disagree with my boss' boss on whether something is ready to ship, I can be shown the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.