[SOLVED] Squeezing out performance for games

clorotan7

Proper
Nov 30, 2018
What are the best programs that will increase performance? or what optimizations can be done to my windows 10 for better performance?

Solution
There aren't any. You can make sure you don't have any obvious crap running in the background that might be slowing your PC down, I think win10 might have some sort of built in game mode that limits background processes. Other than that the only thing you can really do that might make a noticeable difference in performance is overclocking.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
There aren't any. You can make sure you don't have any obvious crap running in the background that might be slowing your PC down, I think win10 might have some sort of built in game mode that limits background processes. Other than that the only thing you can really do that might make a noticeable difference in performance is overclocking.

Solution

nilesb5

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
There's a lot of good tutorials, but the short answer is create a restore point, download Autoruns and Winaero, then disable services and features to get control of Windows and get rid of the bloatware. Also CCleaner will let you remove the windows bloat like groove and other stuff you might not ever use, and aren't allowed to uninstall using control panel. Primocache on your boot drive, and playing games off a seperate SSD will work wonders. Using Clamwin to do antivirus on demand lets you disable Windows Defender because even if you turn it off, it turns itelf back on if you don't disable it with Winaero. When you get everything smooth do an image backup because it can take time to get everyting dialed in perfect.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@nilesb5 none of that would have a significant impact on gaming performance unless there was something else wrong with your PC, like a rogue process consuming resources. For instance, simply having groove music installed is not going to have any effect on performance. Defender isn't going to impact performance unless it's trying to actively run a scan or something. Etc.

nilesb5

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017

Yes Groove was a bad example of all the bloatware preinstalled on most systems these days. Symantec brags their antivirus has the lowest CPU drag for real time scanning of "only 4%" whille Defender is higher, run a before and after test with and with it disabled to see. I could have gone into a 40 page answer with optimizations like MTU sizing to avoid packet fragmentation, Indexing, Superfetch, disabling 8.3 filename support and last modified file stamping, reducing transmit and reciever buffers if your CPU is fast enough to handle the more frequent refreshes, and the million other things, but this was a simple answer for someone just starting out. Likely someone with a name brand system loaded to the gills with bloatware. Less is more is the best short answer, so many good, specific tutorials are out there for getting deep into the details for gaming performance.

On a normal system .... like yours,you wanted to say.
On a small ,still modern and "normal" system but a quad or 2/4, background apps can take up about 10-20% of cpu cycles this is enough to be noticed even without FPS counters,the antivirus checking each file as it get's loaded not included.

Normal as in no high demand background processes that shouldnt be there. Just windows and whatever else that should be running, running.
I did not mean normal as an indication of hardware.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Do you have any evidence that any of that makes a significant difference in gaming performance? Sure, if you bought a pre-built PC/laptop that came with a bunch of crap installed I usually like to do a clean install of Windows to get rid of it all. The rest of that stuff seems like it would either make no difference or only be noticeable in benchmarks but not real world use. Especially gaming. I could see superfetch maybe making a difference with an old/weak system, but seems like it would only have an impact if you get unlucky and it starts to try to load things into RAM while you're in the middle of gaming.

Out of curiosity I tried running cinebench with Defender enabled and then disabled. Score was slightly worse with it disabled (although probably within margin of error).