Question SSD...1 Single Drive or 2?

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good morning, happy holidays!

I'm in the process of upgrading my PC (listed in signature) and was wanting opinions. I do a lot of gaming through Battle.Net, GOG, Origin, and Steam as well as video and photo editing. I found a Crucial M.2 4TB drive on NewEgg for $280 that caught me eye because it would be cheaper than upgrading both my current drives. My question is what are y'all's thoughts on using a single drive for everything instead of a main drive of OS and apps and a second drive for storage/games.

USAFRet

Titan
My question is what are y'all's thoughts on using a single drive for everything instead of a main drive of OS and apps and a second drive for storage/games.
Opinions on this are pretty evenly divided.

Some people like the simplicity of a single large drive.

Other (like me) like to have things split out. One drive for the OS+applications, other drives for other things.

Reactions: bdcrlsn

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, my only concern about the whole thing is SSD endurance, that's why I'm on the fence.
In the consumer world, endurance has not been an issue for years.

Either way you configure it, you will not reach the warranty TBW number for many years.
And consumer drives have been tested/proven to last long beyond that.

You will not kill the drive due to too many write cycles.
It may die of something else, but not that.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
you can choose to have multiple volumes in one drive as well. I heard the C drive with Windows 11 tends to be slower than non-OS partition. So I would definitely choose bigger single drive over multiple smaller drives.

That said, Crucial 4Tb you saw is QLC NAND based. QLC NAND offers roughly half of the TLC endurance coverages.
Personally, I would exchange the burst speed of PCIE4 QLC with better endurance of SATA TLC (4TB MX500) but that's just me.
I believe TLC has better data retention over QLC as well

Reactions: bdcrlsn

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I just looked up the TBW coverage of P3 4TB (800 TBW) vs MX500 4TB (1000 TBW) and for 4TB size, the endurance warranty coverage is not that different and maybe endurance-burst speed exchange is not on MX500's favor.
Just wanted to give accurate information.