SSD 102: The Ins And Outs Of Solid State Storage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is a good article, I have been running 4 Torqx 64gig drives in raid/0 since last July and I have never been happier. I also run 12gig of Dominator ram with the system to keep it peppy.

Windows starts up relatively fast, but the most impressive part is when you launch multiple Adobe CS5 Master Programs at the same time. From the moment you click the launch button of the program, each no matter how many you open take between 3-6sec total from time of click till use.
Microsoft programs open immediately, no hesitation whatsoever.

The only bad part of it is the internet connection. Having a system this fast does have its limits when it comes to other hardware bottlenecking the speeds you can do things at.

darussiaman16

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
"...the much better approach is to provide a sufficient amount of main memory in order to avoid swap file activity."

How much RAM do I need to have to make this happen running Win7 64 bit? It says 8GB+, but I'm skeptical that so much is truly necessary. Wouldn't 4 gigs be enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.