SSD AHCI Failed

walangmaisipeh

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
I just recently bought this computer with an SSD for like a month now. But after doing some research, I found out that I'm not optimizing my SSD because it's not on AHCI. Can someone please help me? I've tried the other guides where to open this: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci" but i dont have that option. And actually, i'm about to reinstall my OS to my SSD because I found out that I should install my OS to my SSD. So how do i do install my OS to my SSD with AHCI on? Anyone, please help me. Thanks.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

If the OS is not on the SSD, where is it? Please provide a screencap of your Disk Management for us to verify.
Did you buy this new or used?

walangmaisipeh

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017

It's on my HDD which is letteer C: and my SSD is D:
This is new

USAFRet

Titan

I should have specified...did you buy the PC new or used?

In any case, you want the OS on the SSD, correct?

walangmaisipeh

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017

walangmaisipeh

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017

Actually i have another answer, please refer to the new answer below. haha. but yeah i want my OS to the SSD since that what's supposed to be, right?

walangmaisipeh

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017

I've already tried to install my OS to my SSD seems like another problem, i was not allowed to, error saying "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The Selected dis has an MBR Partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT."

It's another problem, but if you know the solution, please let me know. And one more thing, is it really important for me to put my OS on my SSD? Is it a big deal? Or it's fine having my Games on my SSD, then my OS on my HDD?

USAFRet

Titan

During the OS install on the SSD, you'd delete ALL existing partitions, and reformat the drive as GPT>

As for where the OS should be? Having the OS (and applications) on the SSD does make a large difference vs it being on the HDD.
I would never build another PC without an SSD for the OS.

walangmaisipeh

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017

Okay. So i should now push through installing the OS to my SSD.

So how do i do it now? Since i'm having that error. I've tried formatting the SSD and installing the OS, but still same error.

USAFRet

Titan

1. Have only the SSD connected.
2. Boot from your install media
3. When it asks 'where', select Custom.
You'll be presented with a list of all existing partitions. Select each, Delete. Leaving one large unpartitioned space.
4. New partition, and select GPT.
From that, you should be OK.

Solution