SSD almost Full

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
About 5 years ago I built a PC with a Samsung 256GB series 830 SSD thinking that it will never fill up. Well, it's nearly full; only about 5GB free space. I suppose the simplest solution would be to purchase another and just replace it?.....if that is recommended, what SSD would be suggested? And how easy is it to copy everything from one 'C' drive to another? FWIW only programs/application are on this drive; all data is on a separate HDD.

I suppose that I could keep W10 (OS) on the existing SSD and move all programs to a separate SSD? Although I seem to remember that my particular MB (Asus P8H77-V) could only support one.....

Thanks for the assistance.

Solution
only programs/application are on this drive

First, discover why your 250GB drive is 'full'. OS and applications should not do that.
Likely there are a LOT of things needlessly taking up space.

1. Install and run WinDirStat
2. Hibernation, pagefile, temp files, Restore Points...all can be sucking up that space. Investigate and fix.
3. Maybe a large game or two is on there?

USAFRet

Titan
only programs/application are on this drive

First, discover why your 250GB drive is 'full'. OS and applications should not do that.
Likely there are a LOT of things needlessly taking up space.

1. Install and run WinDirStat
2. Hibernation, pagefile, temp files, Restore Points...all can be sucking up that space. Investigate and fix.
3. Maybe a large game or two is on there?

Solution

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the replies...yes, I do game and WoW took up about 80GB; I had to take it off and put it on the HDD (for now).
There are also several Adobe applications that I need for work.
I will try WinDirStat.....

Update: I did find some 'stuff' on the drive that shouldn't have been there...moving it as I write this.
Saying that, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea (if feasible) to move application off of this SSD an onto another one....is it? It seems with the series 850 copying is not a problem......thanks

USAFRet

Titan

80GB is 1/3 of that drive...:)