[SOLVED] SSD and HDD have become 'unallocated' ?

Jan 29, 2022
7
0
10
followed the information here and was able to recover 5 of 7 drives, but need help from @fzabkar or anyone else.

i replied to the post, but apparently having the same issue requires a new post be made, luckily i found my imgur. :rolleyes:

i'm fine with losing the linux drive, i can reinstall since i backed up last week what i'd need to recover it.
the game storage is my main concern.

i rebooted and all of a sudden all sata drives became unallocated, like i said though need help with these two since they are not the same as the other solution shows to fix it.

K8HmV3r.png
 
Jan 29, 2022
7
0
10
Think I worked it out, using my linux drive as the guinea pig... looked at the other ssd drives to see what was missing and found all of my ssd drives had the same info until number of sectors which DMDE tells you how many there are, copied that info in and looked at another linux drive and matched after the mbr info.

If it boots, cool I can fix the other one too.

That fixed my linux drive, copying the missing information in and adding the number of sectors.
Booted into linux and used gparted to recover the partition on my games drive after doing the same to it, but I also looked at the fat directory and copied it for the flags (RHSVDA++) in DMDE before I booted into linux to try and recover the files.

I'll make a cleaner post and mark my issue solved.
 
Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022
7
0
10
Disclaimer:
I have very little Idea of what I am doing here even though I have had years of computing and repair under my belt, my understanding is limited to knowing at the beginning of a drive information is placed to tell an operating system about the drive, you will definitely want to make a post and seek help before doing any of this.
This is what worked for me, if you aren't too attached to your data go for it, I got tired of waiting for help and had an epiphany to check the other ssd drives that were fixed following the post I mention in my first post.

I'll be attaching images of what I am talking about from the repaired descriptors.

What worked for me:

My solution was to edit LBA 0 to match my other SSD drives except I put the number of sectors that DMDE showed in the number of sectors field.

To do this you have to click Parameters before opening the drive, then click mode and then Partition table, click edit and then edit mode.
Arrow past the 0 and press backspace or while the zero is highlighted press the delete key and copy everything in the red box to match, in numberof sectors field type in the numbers in the blue box.

Untitled-1.png


Click mode and then Fat Directory, and input the under highlighted line in the Attrs, I noticed a >> on the left where ". e . " is, so I highlighted it and pressed the space bar until the 0 lined up under the others. you do not need to hold shift to make them capitalized or the +, I started with R then + and it allowed me to fill in the rest.

Untitled-2.png


At this point I rebooted windows and my Games drive changed to unallocated so I decided to try in linux.

Booted into linux and ran gparted, select your disk, click partition, click check.
Mine showed an error, but did successfully fix Partition 1 (SDC1 in my case).
Rebooted to windows and the drive is successfully recovered.

I will be copying my data from these drives, formatting them again and copying the data back onto them so I can be certain of no data loss.
 
Jan 29, 2022
7
0
10
No worries, I should have thought to include you again to be sure you were notified of my reply.

I did take the hard road, but your solution sounds like it is way easier, but I did learn something so there is a bonus.

Thanks for the help from the other post and having posted the solution, otherwise I'd still be here with 7 drives offline scratching my head.
 
Jan 29, 2022
7
0
10
Disclaimer:
I have very little Idea of what I am doing here even though I have had years of computing and repair under my belt, my understanding is limited to knowing at the beginning of a drive information is placed to tell an operating system about the drive, you will definitely want to make a post and seek help before doing any of this.
This is what worked for me, if you aren't too attached to your data go for it, I got tired of waiting for help and had an epiphany to check the other ssd drives that were fixed following the post I mention in my first post.

I'll be attaching images of what I am talking about from the repaired descriptors.

What worked for me:

I failed to mention in this post for my SSD drives that are affected I am setting the Relative Sector to 1, Seems to fix it with no problems.

If you are running a Gigabyte X570 Elite and running bios version F35 and encountered this issue you should only need to fix it once, F36 however seems to re-create the issue after a couple boots or for me at least after repairing the partition data of the rest of my drives in bulk.

I've rolled back to F34 since the F37x series of bios is still technically in beta and informed Gigabyte support of the issue, hoping I won't need to do this for a third time in two days.
 

Latest posts