SSD and HDD help

Odis24

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
My first build and I have both an SSD and an HDD and I booted the ssd first to have the OS run off of it as well as some other stuff. How do I switch to the hdd as my main storage and not lose anything?

Xyos

Distinguished
Do you want to re-format the old HDD to remove windows and use it as a pure storage drive? Or do you want to simply point "My Documents", "My Music" etc to the other drive?

I'll answer both. If you want a simple storage drive with windows removed first I suggest backing up important files on the SSD or flash drive (leaving big games that can be re-installed, dont forget save files!), then using windows diskmgmt.msc to format the 2nd drive, and create a new partition volume for files, then move your stuff back (type diskmgmt.msc in windows search bar to access).

If you just want to re-direct your folders to 2nd drive, in the file explorer, right click "Documents" on left side, go to "Properties", and delete the current directories pointing to the C: drive, then add new ones that point to the "2nd" drive.

Odis24

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014

Well I want the HDD to be the main storage for files but also any gaming that I do, I want it to save on my HDD not my SSD.

Xyos

Distinguished

My instructions will let you do that depending on what choice you make about the 2nd OS.

Odis24

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014

If I switch the boot order and boot the HDD first instead of the SSD, will I still have all my stuff on my SSD?