Question SSD boot with separate HDD Raid1

plaunier

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
The last component of my new build (RAM) is in my mailbox. Just waiting for this workday to be done so I can head home and boot up this new PC for the first time.

My intention is to have a 500GB m.2 SSD set up for my OS/Games and two 3TB HDD's that will be setup in RAID 1 for storage of music, videos, etc.

I have searched this topic and have found contradicting instructions on how to set this up. One article says to hook up the SSD and install windows as normal then changed the UEFI setting to RAID and install the two HDD's. The second article says to set the UEFI to RAID mode before installing windows on the SSD.

While I have built many PC's over the years (first was an AMD 486) this is my first time using RAID. So, I am posting here in hopes someone has gone through this process and might be able to share a little wisdom on the matter and save me from having to install windows multiple times.

Intel i5 9600k
ASRock Z390 Extreme 4

1 x 500Gb M.2 SSD (OS and Games)
2 x 3TB HDD (RAID 1 Storage)

a better use would be 1x3tb drive for data, and one for backup, under raid if something is corrupted it's corrupted on both, deleted, deleted on both etc. a backup would give actual redundancy to the data. Raid would merely maintain uptime.

You also then minimise the implications of changing the mobo and the raid controller changing. You could achieve something similar with storage spaces in windows and they are hardware agnostic.

Last edited: