Question SSD causing boot problems.

Jul 22, 2019
Hello. I recently installed the Samsung 860 EVO m.2 250gb into my Dell Inspiron 7559. When i first put the drive into my laptop, and booted it up, i had no problems. I then went into the Samsung Data Migration app to clone my hard drive into my SSD. It wouldn't clone and showed an error that said that it had a problem defragging. I closed the app, and tried cloning again but at 0% it would show ththe same error. This is when i decided to restart my laptop. As the laptop turned back on, it said it was 'preparing automatic repair'. (I can't get into safe mode from this) If I restart my laptop, it will just do the same thing. I removed the SSD and I am able to boot my laptop normally again.

Any ideas?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend! It's a common problem with cloning, as a lot of things are not carried over, and equally there are lots of errors made during cloning. See USAFrets instructions quoted below on performing a clone effectively - this is geared towards using Macrium Reflect:

(this works the same for HDD's.)
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...thy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

popatim

Titan
With the SSD disconnected, run/schedule a defrag on the HDD. Be sure to put checkmarks in both option boxes.
If this is your boot drive , it will ask if you wish to schedule it for the next restart. Select yes and then restart your pc.

This can take several hours, depending on the size of your drive. Plan it for when you won't be needing your PC .

Reactions: PC Tailor