Ryzen 3600
Asrock B450M motherboard
16GB RAM
600W PSU
RX 590
intel SSD 330 120gb (working fine)
SeaGate Barracuda 2TB (working fine)

Transcend 256gb SSD ts256gssd370 - Freezing in games

Issue is that games installed to the Transcend SSD drive randomly freeze (hang) for 5-15 seconds. This does not happen on other disk drives.
This drive was working fine in my last computer build but exhibited these problems immediately on the new system.

Thank you.

Solution
D
It’s not a very good brand of SSD. I would stick with crucial or Samsung Or even Intel 660 P
Sep 1, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Which drive is your OS installed on? and did you reinstall your OS with the new hardware?
Have you checked the health of the drives with HD Sentinel?
When you say the drive freezes, how do you know it's the drive exactly?
Thanks
The OS is installed on the intel drive. I have reinstalled Windows 10. Works no problem.
I have not checked the health no... I will do so.
I know it's the drive at fault as games that are installed on it randomly freeze. However, games installed on the other two drives do not.
I have also (including with the help of others on this forum) been through a rigorous check of all other possibilities. I thought it was the memory for ages but that turned out to be fine.

Sep 1, 2019
HD Sentinal:
"The status of the solid state disk is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found.
The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported and enabled for optimal performance.
The health is determined by SSD specific S.M.A.R.T. attribute(s): #169 Remain Life Percentage

No actions needed."

I know its the drive doing this though.

Two main games I have tested is Fallout 4 and GTA5
When installed on other drives... no freezes.
When installed on the Transcend drive... games lock up for 5-15 seconds several times and hour.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
BIOS yes. Sata drivers are just included in Windows are they not?
Windows will technically install almost any drivers, but it will install what it sees most fit, not necessary all the correct ones. SATA drivers can often be installed directly from the manufacturers site, or come part as basic chipset driver packages.

Do you also have latest Chipset drivers?

Sep 1, 2019
Windows will technically install almost any drivers, but it will install what it sees most fit, not necessary all the correct ones. SATA drivers can often be installed directly from the manufacturers site, or come part as basic chipset driver packages.

Do you also have latest Chipset drivers?
Yes I have the latest AMD chipset drivers.

Sep 1, 2019
How is the drive set up in BIOS?
Was the drive fully wiped when you installed it with the new hardware or were installs carried over?
Are there any other issues with the drive or just games? Any certain games?
The only option I can see in the bios is to change from ACHI to IDE . It's on ACHI. Other than that there is a "sata hotplug" option that is disabled.
I did not reformat the drive for the new system. The only thing installed on the drive was Steam and its games.
Steam itself seems to work fine.
All 3D rendered games I've tried so far seem to be effected, but mostly games that require data to be loaded quickly on the fly, such as open world games.
I am positive that the drive and/or its configuration is causing this. Like I said, games run flawlessly when installed to other drives.

Sep 1, 2019
Tried putting it in that "sata hotplug" setting as I read elsewhere it might help, but the PC just crashed and the monitor went blank. Never did that before.

At this point I'm thinking that this SSD is just incompatible with an AM4 system.
It hasn't had a new bios update for years.

I guess I have no choice but to buy a newer SSD and see if it works properly.

D

Deleted member 14196

It’s not a very good brand of SSD. I would stick with crucial or Samsung Or even Intel 660 P

Solution