[SOLVED] SSD clone boot issues. Help needed. Thanks in advance.

Caesar1408

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
Hello,

So I need some wisdom, and I have found saviours here before.

So I cloned my HDD to an SSD drive so I could have a faster boot time with windows. Used this guide to the T:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H7D1HcfY9o

SO! Problem is, I do as they say, re-boot the PC unplugging the old HDD. Works fine. windows is on the SSD. Very happy.

SO I thought to wack back in my HDD drive, and Bam Bios issue saying: Reboot and select proper boot device. I go to the Bios, select the SSD as boot priority (I think?), and again same issue: Reboot and select proper boot device. SO I unplug old HDD, and it goes back to the same: Reboot and select proper boot device. Flipping heck. So then I go to boot options with HDD plugged back in and pick the 'windows boot?' which never showed up before (I can't remember exactly what it's called). Get back into my PC and Windows is back on the HDD... How do I get it to boot from the SSD with windows? I am very confused.

I come to this forum whenever I have issues, and I always have issues as I am such a noob. Once upgraded CPU, no idea why it was being so crappy, someone on here told me I had the wrong mobo. lifesaver. but as you can see, I'm not very bright.

Any help would be appreciated.

RIg details:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 six core
RAM: 8GB
System type 64 bit (windows 10)
Mother Board: Gygabite
Graphics Card GTX 1080

Solution
If the system works in its original config, redo the clone operation.
This time, use the Samsung Data Migration tool.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This...

Caesar1408

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
You've verified 100% that the system boots up from ONLY the new drive?

I am never 100% sir. The bios in general confuse me, and Gugabytes is different from all that I saw on the guides. i selected for boot option one the SSD, I know that much, and when I went to hard drives, I made SSD the top priority...

Caesar1408

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
Hey USA,

so yes, when I had my HDD drive disconnected the first time, it booted from the SSD, no bios, nothing, just straight to the old windows home page. I have another HDD but that's just got games and the such on it.

When HDD plugged in, (thought I could wipe it, use it for storage) it went to the error at bios as described above. Unplugged the HDD and rebooted again, and same back to bios... Hope this helps and thanks for your time.

Caesar

Caesar1408

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
I wasn't using the classy NVME drive just like on of the standard drives.

SO what I can see in the bios now is, boot option 1 is the SSD, number two is CDD (cd drive?) three is windows boot manager. but is this the boot order, and if not, where do I find this?

Thanks a bunch

C

Caesar1408

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
so windows boot manager, then
SSD ? should this get it to go onto the SSD? I believe the CDDVD is third in line... for some reason. and the HDD isn't even on the list, yet it has windows on it...

Thanks again for your time

also when HDD isn't plugged in, the widows boot manager does not show up.

Caesar1408

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
macrium reflect.

Worked like a charm when the HDD wasn't in after I rebooted after the cloning. All copied over, booted up nicely. plugged HDD back in and windows went straight back over to the HDD.

when you say ' back to original config' are you just telling me to take out the SSD and reboot?

thanks again

C

USAFRet

Titan
If the system works in its original config, redo the clone operation.
This time, use the Samsung Data Migration tool.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution

Caesar1408

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
Thank you very much for this USA.

Can I ask one thing, how much would you say is significantly less size from the SDD? so the SDD is 240 (goes down to 225 for some reason), my HDD was like 200 GB.

I will attempt these steps in the morning.

I really appreciate all the help.

C

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you very much for this USA.

Can I ask one thing, how much would you say is significantly less size from the SDD? so the SDD is 240 (goes down to 225 for some reason), my HDD was like 200 GB.

I will attempt these steps in the morning.

I really appreciate all the help.

C
Going into a 240GB drive, the actual consumed space on the source drive must be well below 200GB. Not "201".

Like...190 or less.

Caesar1408

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
So, I've followed your instructions, booted up from the SSD nicely, widows is on, perfect. Made sure the order was windows boot then SSD... (widows boot had the SSD attached anyhow so that's a change.

Now... If I attach the old HDD which the SSD is cloned from, will windows revert back to there? Like it did last time, or should I format the other HDD on another PC, or should it all be hunky dorey, if I now re-boot with the old HDD linked to the mobo as well as the SDD?

Many thanks

C

Caesar1408

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
It will be some other drive letter. Probably the next available letter.
The OS that is running names itself the C, no matter which physical drive. Other drives get other letters.

I see. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
I'm gonna try plug in the old C drive now then. hopefully, won't have the same issue as last time and I can wipe the old drive

Caesar1408

Reputable
Apr 3, 2016
one more question USA.

So, old HDD in, Booted up in the right order, all on SSD. Wonderful.

Then I wiped the HDD using commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

I then initialized HDD in disk management. SO far so good. HDD now with 931 GB of unallocated space. Wonderful. But, the HDD is not showing un my computer... Why is this?

Many thanks,

C

USAFRet

Titan
one more question USA.

So, old HDD in, Booted up in the right order, all on SSD. Wonderful.

Then I wiped the HDD using commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

I then initialized HDD in disk management. SO far so good. HDD now with 931 GB of unallocated space. Wonderful. But, the HDD is not showing un my computer... Why is this?

Many thanks,

C
Because it is Unallocated.
Go into Disk Management, right slick on that space.
You should see New Simple Volume.
Do that, and follow the remaining steps, eventually ending with a drive letter.