ssd clone to nvme (missing anything?)

moot1414

Reputable
Mar 26, 2018
Hey guys, planning on using macrium software to clone my sata ssd to my new nvme in my desktop.

I'm hopping you guys can take a look at the steps I'm going to take and let me know if my plan of attack seems ok. My main concerns are highlighted below

1) Will the nvme be read as the C: drive after it is cloned? What happens when there's two C drives?
2) Will I need a new windows key?

The size of the SSD and the nvme are the same size, so hoping this will be a painless process. Thanks!

Clone SSD to NVME
Restart and change bios to boot from from sata SSD to nvme.
Shut down and remove old SSD.
Confirm that computer boots and then wipe SSD

Solution
1. Yes. In windows, one drive will have the C: and the other will be assigned another letter like D: or E: depending on your setup.
2. No, it's not a big change so Windows should be fine with it unless you already changed a few thing prior with the same key (Motherboard,etc). Some paid software might require activation again. (Paid licences for accounting software, etc.)

Clone the SSD to NVME (The software has to change the partition from MBR to GPT) and shut down the computer
Disconnect the old SSD from the computer
Start the computer and make sure you are booting in UEFI boot mode
Change the boot order to your NVME drive if it's not done already

You have nothing to lose by trying, if it does not work and can't make it work you can...
Mar 28, 2018
1. Yes. In windows, one drive will have the C: and the other will be assigned another letter like D: or E: depending on your setup.
2. No, it's not a big change so Windows should be fine with it unless you already changed a few thing prior with the same key (Motherboard,etc). Some paid software might require activation again. (Paid licences for accounting software, etc.)

Clone the SSD to NVME (The software has to change the partition from MBR to GPT) and shut down the computer
Disconnect the old SSD from the computer
Start the computer and make sure you are booting in UEFI boot mode
Change the boot order to your NVME drive if it's not done already

You have nothing to lose by trying, if it does not work and can't make it work you can always re-install the OS from scratch like Lutfij suggested.

Solution