[SOLVED] SSD compatibility check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2018
Thanks Toms hardware first of all for helping us all.

I have Dell vostro 470 with core i7 and 2 hdd already installed.
Brother Into graphics so have to upgrade this system with SSD. Can you please advise if i can buy one for pcie or it is faster if i remove hdd and put there in sata.
If I can install ssd in pcie, please advice what ssd to buy, as in what type and compatibility.
If it is recommended to put ssd in hdd slot, then what type ssd to look for.

Solution

Cancel that order. You don't want/can't use an mSATA drive.
Does your motherboard have an m.2 port? No.

Get a regular 2.5" SATA III SSD.
The 860 EVO, here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147674

winks42

Respectable
PCIe NVMe SSD’s are much faster than normal SSDs but if you want a PCIe m.2 it is similar in price for the same speed. I don’t think your mobo supports m.2 so you might have to go with NVMe or the normal ssd

Nov 30, 2018
Thanks winks42 for the info. There are few types of PCI in mobo, after looking around I am buying : Samsung MZ-M6E500BW 500 GB 860 EVO mSATA III 64L V NAND Solid State Drive.
Hope this is compatible and still as fast as NVMe, i can cancel order in 48hrs.

USAFRet

Titan

Cancel that order. You don't want/can't use an mSATA drive.
Does your motherboard have an m.2 port? No.

Get a regular 2.5" SATA III SSD.
The 860 EVO, here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147674

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

This statement is all sorts of incorrect.
Lacking an m.2 port, where is he supposed to plug in a NVMe drive?
In a PCIe slot and adapter? And then what? His system almost certainly can't boot from it.

M.2 is simply the form factor. Like 2.5" or 3.5".

Nov 30, 2018
Thanks Moderator. Just cancelled the order.
Just to add, I do have a mSATA slot in vostro 470 motherboard, but as it is not recommended so I will go for SATA III SSD as per ur newegg link. I was only avoiding this option because as stated earlier my desktop has two HDD slots, and I am already running the system with 2 HDDs.
I will now take one hdd out and buy this 2.5 ssd with adapters, cables etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.