SSD Corrupted or Broken?! Please read :(

Doograham

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
Hello, so i have a Samsung SSD 850 pro that was just recently bought during christmas, and i have been using it as my boot for OS and storing my games and whatnot for awhile now.. I am also using a WD 500GB HDD for extra stuff. Anyways, Here's what i have to say..

This (My SSD) has been working flawlessly for the past months up until today when i turned on my pc. It said on my screen that there was no bootable device present so i restared my pc. The message was gone afterwards and it started to load but only up to the blue windows logo (Using WIndows 8.1). I left it like that for 30 minutes and it still did not load into my OS. So i decided to go and check the BIOS if there is anything wrong with the boot priorities (Which are all set correctly and properly) And nothing.. nothing was changed and everything was what i set it to.. But then i noticed that the name of my SSD on the boot priorites section was "3ckckckCk!" or something like that.. Obviously its correct name is SSD 850 PRO. I just left it first and exited the BIOS and let my pc boot. It then said that it was checking for any problems and diagnosing. It then said attempting to repair problems but then after that it said failed to repair.. I tried switching the SATA connections of my SSD and HDD just to see if it was my wire that was busted. But to no avail it was still the same.. I tried this a couple of times (Switiching SATA connections) and same result. I then tried my SATA 2.0 connection on my ssd and same thing.. I then decided to install my Windows 7 on my HDD and ofcourse make (DVD Drive) it as #1 Boot priority. Leaving the HDD as Second and SSD the third or last one.. the thing is it didnt want to read the disc.. tried rebooting a couple times same result. So what i did was remove the SSD from the boot list (DISABLE IT). It still didnt work and wasn't booting into the CD. So what i did was unplug the SATA connection from the SSD. And It actually booted into the Windows 7 Installation Disc.. So i then installed Windows 7 on my HDD. Restarted my pc went into the BIOS reconnected my SSD and put back my SSD as 2nd Priority and HDD as first for testing purposes. Windows 7 didnt want to load and it just said "Starting Windows" for around 15 mins long.. Restarted again.. Did what i did earlier by Disabling SSD. and only left the HDD on the boot section. nothing sitll loading infinitely.. I then unplugged the SSD again and i was finally able to boot into my HDD (Windows 7).. That is how i am posting here right now.. I dont know what to do about this.. I tried searching and i have not found anything helpful or similar to the problem i have.. Help would be greatly appreciated ASAP :(.. Sorry if this was too long but i felt i needed to get every detail into it. Again,

Help would be greatly appreciated :(. Thanks...

Edit: Please note that disabling my SSD in the boot section to get into my HDD did not work. But merely unplugging it worked.. I am not too good with storage stuff as i never really experienced anything with them. My main objective is to just get my SSD back and running as it is my main boot and drive. I dont know if it is corrupt or broken or i dont know.. I do not mind having to reformat it or something like that if it is even possible?? Not being able to access the SSD at all..

Solution
SSDs are quite different from mechanical storage. When they fail, they fail, and you can't do anything about it. It is pure electronics inside. Reformat cannot help here since the drive isn't recognised correctly at all, meaning that its controller likely failed. RMA it.

That's the primary reason why only OS/programs should be stored to an SSD and no important data - it is extremely hard, in most cases impossible, to retrieve the data if it fails.

Doograham

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014

Oh btw i added an edit to my first post:

Edit: Please note that disabling my SSD in the boot section to get into my HDD did not work. But merely unplugging it worked.. I am not too good with storage stuff as i never really experienced anything with them. My main objective is to just get my SSD back and running as it is my main boot and drive. I dont know if it is corrupt or broken or i dont know.. I do not mind having to reformat it or something like that if it is even possible?? Not being able to access the SSD at all..

But you said its broken :(? There is no way anymore to reformat or fix it or whatnot? and the only option is to RMA?

SSDs are quite different from mechanical storage. When they fail, they fail, and you can't do anything about it. It is pure electronics inside. Reformat cannot help here since the drive isn't recognised correctly at all, meaning that its controller likely failed. RMA it.

That's the primary reason why only OS/programs should be stored to an SSD and no important data - it is extremely hard, in most cases impossible, to retrieve the data if it fails.

Solution

Doograham

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014

Thanks for helping. I wouldn't think an SSD from Samsung would just break like that.. Considering the brand name and that Samsung SSD's are known for being very durable and lasting for years.. Atleast this has a 10 year warranty with it.. I guess i'll have it RMA'd since its impossible to do anything with it at this point.. Funny how it can just happen like that.. Worked perfectly yesterday, days, weeks, months before today.. Anyway thanks for the answers to my question guys.