SSD data migrate or clean install?

Dec 3, 2018
Just got a Samsung 860 Evo and migrated the data from the HDD to SSD. Everything seems fine except I feel slightly disappointed with the results.

Boot time went down from only 35 to 20 seconds, programs etc. load just a tad bit faster, nothing dramatic.

My question is since I now have a hdd and an ssd installed which are exact clones, would it be better to wipe the HDD contents or just remove it completely to increase the performance of the SSD? I've heard that doing a fresh installation of the OS is a better route, does that make a difference in performance then compared to data migration?

Solution
"would it be better to wipe the HDD contents or just remove it completely to increase the performance of the SSD?"

I don't think that doing either will increase the performance of the SSD.

As far as I know, the speed of the SSD shouldn't be affected by the HDD.

" I've heard that doing a fresh installation of the OS is a better route"

I would say "not necessarily". I would say a clean install might be a better route if you already have issues....or if you have a lot on the current HD that you don't want....but if the system was running fine on the old drive.....I don't see an issue with using a clone.
"would it be better to wipe the HDD contents or just remove it completely to increase the performance of the SSD?"

I don't think that doing either will increase the performance of the SSD.

As far as I know, the speed of the SSD shouldn't be affected by the HDD.

" I've heard that doing a fresh installation of the OS is a better route"

I would say "not necessarily". I would say a clean install might be a better route if you already have issues....or if you have a lot on the current HD that you don't want....but if the system was running fine on the old drive.....I don't see an issue with using a clone.

Solution
Dec 3, 2018

thank you