[SOLVED] SSD Disappears randomly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
The secondary SSD I use will randomly disappear, maybe after my pc goes into Hybrid sleep mode? I've been fixing it temporarily by powering down and remounting it, but just recently I found that just turning my pc completely off and back on again also temporarily fixes the issue. It only started happening recently. In the power options, I have "Turn off hard disk" set to off, Hybrid sleep on, and Hibernate off. I also have "Put the computer to sleep" set to never.
The SSD is a 'Samsung SSD 860 evo 1tb'

Solution
I just unplugged and plugged the SSD back in, and switched the letter from B, to S.

I was mistaken before, the SSD does NOT show up as a boot option in the boot order, but after booting as normal, appeared to still be working fine. The only boot options that show in the order are my SSD with windows installed to it (C:, and my USB drives that I have plugged in.

Here's the storage settings in the bios,
yRzLZ0n.jpg

If there's anything else I need to snap a pic of from the BIOS, lemme know.
That looks normal. SATA is enabled and in AHCI mode as it should be for SSDs.
Other things you may want to check is drivers for SATA and AHCI, usually contained in chipset drivers.
Could also use Samsung Magician to...
The secondary SSD I use will randomly disappear, maybe after my pc goes into Hybrid sleep mode? I've been fixing it temporarily by powering down and remounting it, but just recently I found that just turning my pc completely off and back on again also temporarily fixes the issue. It only started happening recently. In the power options, I have "Turn off hard disk" set to off, Hybrid sleep on, and Hibernate off. I also have "Put the computer to sleep" set to never.
The SSD is a 'Samsung SSD 860 evo 1tb'
Disappears from where ? BIOS, Device manager, disk management, ?

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Disappears from where ? BIOS, Device manager, disk management, ?
Sorry, I posted this just before bed, so I was really tired and forgot to specify. The SSD will stop showing up in all that you mentioned, as if it was unplugged. If I try to open some of the programs that I had installed onto the SSD via desktop shortcuts, the shortcuts themselves just show up as a blank white page, and trying to open them just says something like, "this file is missing." I had my steam games installed to it, so when I try to open any of those through Steam, Steam says "missing executable."

I checked if it showed up in the BIOS a couple times when I tried to bypass the problem by restarting my pc, but it still didn't show up. Just recently I realized that restarting does nothing, and I can only temporarily fix it by powering off, and on again. When I checked the system logs in the Event Viewer, I didn't see anything there related to the SSD.

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
What does it look like In Bios when working -
Is it in the boot order what are the other settings?
When its working, back up your game saves and anything not Steam, drive may be failing.
Yes, it shows up in the boot order while it's working. What other settings do you mean?

Is there any way to find out if it's failing or not? I just barely have the money to buy another drive right now, so I wanna make sure it's failing before I do anything like that.

Other settings, mode AHCI, how was disk formatted anything that may give a clue.
There are disk test utilities but do your backup first since they will work the drive.
It seems like the drive info just isn't being stored or is lost when powering down.
You could try and clear bios, maybe it will get it right the next boot.

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Other settings, mode AHCI, how was disk formatted anything that may give a clue.
There are disk test utilities but do your backup first since they will work the drive.
It seems like the drive info just isn't being stored or is lost when powering down.
You could try and clear bios, maybe it will get it right the next boot.
I'll check the BIOS asap tomorrow morning. I found out that it isn't when my pc sleeps or anything, it just disappears whenever. I had file explorer open and I watched as the (B: drive disappeared out of nowhere. I checked Event viewer right after, and saw, "Disk 0 has been surprise removed."

I'll check the BIOS asap tomorrow morning. I found out that it isn't when my pc sleeps or anything, it just disappears whenever. I had file explorer open and I watched as the (B: drive disappeared out of nowhere. I checked Event viewer right after, and saw, "Disk 0 has been surprise removed."
A and B letters are traditionally reserved for floppy disk, you system may be misrepresenting them. Change letter to something else.

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
A and B letters are traditionally reserved for floppy disk, you system may be misrepresenting them. Change letter to something else.
I just unplugged and plugged the SSD back in, and switched the letter from B, to S.

I was mistaken before, the SSD does NOT show up as a boot option in the boot order, but after booting as normal, appeared to still be working fine. The only boot options that show in the order are my SSD with windows installed to it (C:, and my USB drives that I have plugged in.

yRzLZ0n.jpg

yRzLZ0n.jpg

That looks normal. SATA is enabled and in AHCI mode as it should be for SSDs.
Other things you may want to check is drivers for SATA and AHCI, usually contained in chipset drivers.
Could also use Samsung Magician to check and maybe update firmware.

Solution
Jan 22, 2021
I have exactly the same issue, how did you finally resolve it?

My 860 evo 1tb SSD sometimes disappears with no reason, cannot see it in either BIOS or disk management or my pc or Samsung app, it goes normal if I power down pc and power on it. its NOT because of heat problem or driver problem or psu problem or AHCI problem or faulty cables. Still in pain.

Jul 22, 2021
Same, Samsung 860 EVO 1tb. disappears for no reason, no problems with temperature. cabling etc.
After hard restart, it works again, until it doesnt.

1RpJIhQ.png

Status
Not open for further replies.