SSD disappears; requires power down

egerrish

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I have a new-ish internal ssd that I use for large steam games. Occasionally the game will crash (because of the SSD?) that will require a reboot. Once rebooted, the drive will disappear, sometimes from bios as well. Sometimes the drive appears in disk management but cannot be initialized. The drive will reappear if I power down the PSU and power it back up.

I have checked the power and sata cables a number of times, changed the sata connector. I even replaced my power supply unit recently (it was about time anyway).

Any ideas what's wrong?

Feb 21, 2019
I have the exact same issue with my new rig. I have a Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512GB as my OS drive. Every 2-3 days i get a BSOD with DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION or CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. Upon reboot the SSD is missing from the BIOS and i get stuck on the POST screen. A quick power down and power up and everything is back to normal. There are no other ill effects during regular use. Just the BSOD every few days. Bloody frustrating and hard to trouble shoot. SSD drivers and firmware are all up to date but i will be checking BIOS version on the motherboard to see if a new BIOS update will fix the issue (but i doubt it).