Question SSD drive temperatures very low or missing?

Hi, I bought a SSD a few days ago, it is SATA 3 - Adata SU800 512 GB 2,5 ". In HD Sentinel it shows that temperatures are either not measured (question mark sign) or low, like 2-7 degrees Celsius.
The room temp is 12-20 °C during the day.
Ik that it is generally high temps that are likely to cause issues, but this phenomenon still feels weird (and mb risky?). Yet the case cooling is really strong as it is a custom one, where currently this SSD has contact only with a screw and an old PSU's own case, but the other SSD has temp 17-19 °C and the HDD has 25-28 °C, it just doesn't make sense the new SSD to be with temps below 8°C all the time. I still haven't put anything in it tho...can it be the reason for still not measuring correctly, or mb defective temp sensor? At first that question mark symbol made me think there's no T-sensor, but currently I see 2°C.
I gotta ask my seller about that, but I wonder what you d'think as well, also they 'd open at 3rd January, I guess.

Highly erroneous sensors are quite common.

It's not easy to keep temperature sensing software up to date so it can accurately measure the temps on all locations on all possible SSDs. The SSD market is an a constant state of change.

How old is your version of HD Sentinel?

Try HWInfo64 and see what it says.

You might want to see what the temps show up on the drive when using Adata's SSD toolbox.
3°C. Now it's 3°C on HD Sentinel as well...
Hm, now I am moving my steam folder into the new SSD and it quickly went 12 °C, haha.

Try HWInfo64 and see what it says.
Interestingly, while HD Sentinel & the toolbox show 13-15 °C, HWinfo shows 20. Now restarting these programs..same. HD Sentinel is latest version - 5.70

Mind sharing a couple of pictures of where the SSD is located in your build?
That 'd be a bit of a headache with more disassemble-assemble, esp. since to install it, a new HDD, changing a few SATA cables and a fan extensor were a bit of headache already. Anyway, I'll describe my scenario - it is some bit of silly custom build here, where a PSU was "eviscerated" due to being low-quality and loud, now its box is inside, looking as a mirror to the regular PSU and the HDD is between them. The two SSDs are latched onto the PSU's box :D though just with one screw and are "floating" in the air with the rest of their body (no risk of falling/moving due to tight screw & cables potentially working as counter). The 4th fan inside the case is a mediocre, generic one that adds for improved cooling, but is latched on the HDD, though it is close to the two SSDs.

Wait, now after 70-80 GB moved, the temp is like the other SSD's temp and the HDD's temp - 27 °C. lol. Gone up fast. Guess if it measures 0°C, it is then when it shows that question mark.

Unfortunately, after the data copy-paste it returned to 2 °C and so it was after a restart. HwInfo continues to show 5 °C more for 7 °C current. It points to a sensor issue, looks like I gotta see my seller after two days.

Can you show us the SMART report from CrystalDiskInfo?

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Some SMART tools insist on interpreting the SMART data, but CrystalDiskInfo also displays the raw hexadecimal temperature data so that we can see it for ourselves.

GSmartControl also displays a full temperature history in one of the logs.

https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/home/index.php/Downloads

If you can open the SSD case without voiding your warranty, we can locate the actual sensor. Then you can warm it up with a hair dryer, or cool it with isopropyl alcohol.

Can you show us the SMART report from CrystalDiskInfo?
GSmartControl also displays a full temperature history in one of the logs.

View: https://imgur.com/a/DcfxmUb

If you can open the SSD case without voiding your warranty, we can locate the actual sensor. Then you can warm it up with a hair dryer, or cool it with isopropyl alcohol.

I'm not quite sure how tight is the sticker's glue. Mb I'll try this if the seller doesn't cooperate. I'll contact him tomorrow.

The temperature log is a standard ATA feature, so there is no opportunity to misinterpret its data. It does look like the temperature sensor, wherever it is, is either defective, or the firmware may have a bug in this area.

If the SSD is using a Silicon Motion controller, then the sensor is most probably on the flash controller's die.

BTW, I suspect that attributes 0xA5, 0xA6 and 0xA7 are probably the max, min and average wear levelling counts. I'm also guessing that 0xE8 may report the percentage remaining lifetime, which is currently 0x64 (= 100 decimal).

or the firmware may have a bug in this area
Idk. I have the latest firmware version (M.2) is what the tool says when I check for update. I don't know if something would cause some conflict or whatever. I might try to run without the other storages sometime, just for the curiosity or reinstall OS (which I haven't done for pretty long :D )

Anyway, today I went to the service of my seller. Their software showed normal temps, 20-32 °C, both HD Tune and the Adata's toolbox. They were just checking the SSD, without copying or moving data. The guy there told me to keep calm and that it's more dangerous if I reach above 40°C or if the SSD shows wrong in some laptop with low vent and that things like my phenomenon are in the borders of normal. I couldn't blame the sensor there, bearing in mind the results on their PC. The guy checked S.M.A.R.T. and other stuff there and stated all normal.

When I went back home, I got the Tune's trial v., well, 8°C. The Toolbox same. Tried another SATA cable, same. Yet it's pretty good cooling inside my PC case, but even if I disable 1-2 nearby fans, things don't seem to change significantly. At the same time temps show regular when I download games on Steam and when I move/copy files on the SSD, then T is 18-25 °C like the primary SSD from Kingston.

Seems like things around here might be related to my system in some way. Seems confusing.

TRENDING THREADS