SSD drives, price vs performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crazyperson214

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I am pricing parts to "upgrade" my computer. My friend just built his with an SSD boot drive, which starts in FIVE SECONDS.

I plan on getting a SSD drive now too, beats the 15 minute I currently have.

Question is, is it worth the money to buy the Samsung 950 Pro?

or for my needs is a simple Samsung 850 Evo?

I want it to boot my computer FAST even after 3 years of use.
I would also use it for 3-4 games.

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

Any modern SSD will do wonders to your boot time.
Also know that there are certain things you can do to optimize your SSD to make the boot time even faster (for example eliminating the POST boot screen...that's 3 seconds alone you can remove)

I personally am very happy with my 850 EVO which I just upgraded from a 120GB Corsair Force GT
The boot time is marginally faster, but the benchmarks are significantly better

essentially what I'm trying to say is that the benchmarks are probably much better with the 950 Pro, but in reality, I doubt you'd notice much difference in boot time between the 950Pro and the 850Evo
Remember, some people assume with an SSD your boot time is 1 second...it's not...most of the actual pre-windows boot time is from your BIOS/MB/CPU
where you'll see the most benefit is on Windows start-up and how quickly Windows logs you in and you can open that first application without any lag

crazyperson214

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

What is the post boot screen, and how do I remedy it? :)

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

This is the best site with all the ways to optimize your SSD:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

"Disable GUI on boot:
This speeds boot up a second or two. You will no longer see the boot splash screen.
Open the Start Menu, in the search line, type msconfig and press Enter.
When the "System Configuration" window opens click the "Boot" tab.
Check the checkbox for "No GUI boot."
Click the "Apply" button and restart."

there's a bunch of other great tips and shortcuts....alot of BIOS pre-installation set-up that you'll want to go through as well

Enjoy!:D

TRENDING THREADS