[SOLVED] SSD entering Windows recovery in a new build

Apr 11, 2021
I built a new pc today and wanted to swap my information over to the new system. I got a new Hard Drive and cloned my old one but I was just going to reuse my SSD. When I put my SSD in the new computer it goes into windows recovery. I put it back in my old setup and it still worked fine and booted into Windows. Is there any way I could fix this. My new system is an i9 900k with a mas z490 motherboard. The SSD is a san disk 1tb.

Solution
You can't just clone an old install on one PC and put it on a new pc, it doesn't work like that.

Generally, 3 results from trying
  1. it works
  2. it works but has problems
  3. it doesn't work.
You got number 3. Even if you had got number 1 or 2, its always a better idea to clean install on new hardware to get newer features, and right drivers.

Moving win 10 like that also messes with activation. You can't use same licence on both PC. Win 10 activation servers would notice new PC doesn't match what they have recorded against key, and could deactivate new one.

1. link the old licence key to an email address -...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can't just clone an old install on one PC and put it on a new pc, it doesn't work like that.

Generally, 3 results from trying
  1. it works
  2. it works but has problems
  3. it doesn't work.
You got number 3. Even if you had got number 1 or 2, its always a better idea to clean install on new hardware to get newer features, and right drivers.

Moving win 10 like that also messes with activation. You can't use same licence on both PC. Win 10 activation servers would notice new PC doesn't match what they have recorded against key, and could deactivate new one.

1. link the old licence key to an email address - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665 so you can swap it to new PC.

2. You need to clean install win 10 on ssd in the new PC, not in the old one. Only have the ssd in pc at time, no other drives.
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

3. you need to copy all the info from old hdd onto new PC but you can't do it the way you wanted. You can put old drive into new PC as a data drive but you can't use the same user folders on it, so copy any info in the current documents folders onto a USB or something. Make sure you have a copy of anything you want to save. GIven you have the drive anyway, you shouldn't lose anything.
You will need to reinstall all programs again. So make sure you know any registrations you need. Passwords too.

Last edited:
Solution