Question SSD fail?

rapiddecline

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Win10 Pro, 12gb ram, 2 tb hdd, 500gb ssd( fully partitioned but only use is part 1 for os)
Installed ssd Nov.2020. During massive winter storm shut desktop down to conserve electricity and restarted pc 3-4 times. Last time started os(ssd) acted slow and strange. Next time pc started had to re-install the os.
Tuesday during updates, pc responded but couldn't access files, rebooted, at boot restart error msg appeared- attempted repair but ended up re-installing to hdd.

My question is how to determine if ssd is failed - it shows up in devices and reflects all partitions created but can't access partion(s) files.

Last question is best recovery method - am using Macrim and couldn't get to the bak files for a reinstall.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
First question, how do you have a 12GB ram loadout? What OS version are you on(assuming you're on Windows 10)? We're currently on version 20H2. Make and model of the SSD you're working with? Make and model of the motherboard? You should try and make sure that your motherboard's BIOS is up to date, while also seeing if your SSD is pending any firmware updates.

USAFRet

Titan
Win10 Pro, 12gb ram, 2 tb hdd, 500gb ssd.
Installed ssd Nov.2020. During massive winter storm shut desktop down to conserve electricity and restarted pc 3-4 times. Last time started os(ssd) acted slow and strange. Next time pc started had to re-install the os.
Tuesday during updates, pc responded but couldn't access files, rebooted, at boot restart error msg appeared- attempted repair but ended up re-installing to hdd.

My question is how to determine if ssd is failed - it shows up in devices and reflects all partitions created but can't access partion(s) files.

Last question is best recovery method - am using Macrim and couldn't get to the bak files for a reinstall.

Thank you.
With Macrium, the image(s) would have been stored on a different drive.

This was stored on the HDD?

rapiddecline

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009

Imaged with macrim to the hdd and usb drive. Attempted to use macrim recovery but even with changing the boot settings in the bios boot continued to point to the Western digital 5500

Attempted to use macrim recovery(emergency), changed the bios boot settings and still system pointed to the western digital 500gb ssd. Backups from ssd were made with macrim to usb drive and Hdd partition. The only way I found was to reinstall from usb stick from scratch.

As aside I've been trying to access files from macrim in a browse partition and am agonizing trying to fix "you don't have permission", getting same issue with the administrator.

USAFRet

Titan
Right.
Reinstalling the OS gives you a whole new user.
Mounting the old image and attempting to access the files will throw a permissions issue. Admin user or not.
Look into TakeOwnership.

Booting from a Macrium Rescue USB does not work?
It should give the ability to locate and recover the old full drive image you saved on the HDD.

rapiddecline

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Right.
Reinstalling the OS gives you a whole new user.
Mounting the old image and attempting to access the files will throw a permissions issue. Admin user or not.
Look into TakeOwnership.

Booting from a Macrium Rescue USB does not work?
It should give the ability to locate and recover the old full drive image you saved on the HDD.
Attempted macrim on dvr recovery, didn't work. When I attempted to access HDD old installation, error returned about corrupt files. The usb drive contained macrim image I couldn't access.

Today 0304, I reconnected the ssd. First pass at diskmgmt the ssd did not show up. Second run diskmgmt the ssd had to be initalized.
Now I can view the 3 partitions. However I am not confident the device will not malfunction again.

My question is how to verify ssd integrity.

Also suggested steps to avoid having to reinstall OS for recovery.

Last edited:

rapiddecline

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
Western Digital WDBNCE500PNC ssd. Previous question pertained to attempting to reinstall OS ... Context of last editing ot the previous question: .

Today 0304, I reconnected the ssd. First pass at diskmgmt the ssd did not show up. Second run diskmgmt the ssd had to be initalized.
Now I can view the 3 partitions. However I am not confident the device will not malfunction again.

My question is how to verify ssd integrity and should a portion of the ssd remain uninitalized?.

Also suggested steps to avoid having to reinstall OS for recovery.