Question SSD for external enclosure

Nov 29, 2022
Hi all,
So I bought a laptop with Win11 preinstalled on 128gb nvme ssd. The first thing to do is to change that ssd with larger capacity. I need no more than 256gb however I was looking at 500/512 gb considering the price difference.
I also run manjaro linux and since i did not want to have a dual boot drive, I bought an enclosure 3.2 gen 2x1 that supports up to 10gbps (my new laptop has a usb c port that supports that speed)
For the external ssd enclosure, should I get an ssd with dram like adata xpg pro, or I will be fine with a samsung 980. I have checked that the most improtant aspect is 4k Random read speed Q1T1. Both ssds appear to have similiar values there around 60-70 mb/s. I think Samsung 980 beats sx8200 pro at random reads benchmarks.
Also for the one that I want to internally, I do not mind the blazing 3000mb/s speed as I use my pc for light gaming, and daily tasks such as editing documents, reading pdfs and heavy browsing. What I would prioritize here is power consumption. Any other suggestions . Does anyone have a clue which ssd is best at it. Both Samsung and adata cost 50 - 51 Euros at 500gb. I am aware of Adata's practices, yet, dram makes it an attractive option given the price tag and the fact that I do not need that speeds.

Also lets consider I am buying both, which should be used as an external ssd ?
Anyone has experience with Team Group Mp33. Seems decent and is really cheap, will it perform well as a boot drive in the ssd enclosure ?
Thanks for you time.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

So I bought a laptop with Win11 preinstalled on 128gb nvme ssd.
Make and model of your laptop? An SKU to the laptop would help us narrow down it's specs and what it can accept in terms of a storage upgrade.

Nov 29, 2022
Hi, I intend to use the external ssd as a linux boot drive and keep windows seperately at the internal drive. I like the fact that I can take my OS and use it in other pc's as well without having to carry the laptop.
The laptop is a Lenovo ideapad 3 14ALC6 with R3 5300U processor and 20GB (4 soldered + 16gb I installed) of RAM. In its specs, it supports pcie 3 for the ssd (not pcie 4). I have also cross-checked though hwinfo that the usb ports support 10gbps transfer rate (Usb 3.1 gen 2 / usb 3.2 gen 1x2)

Nov 29, 2022
So, what I am asking in particular is: Should I opt for an external ssd with dram cache or the fact that it will be at an enclosure will not make a difference. Also, I am confused, I 've searched multiple posts and reviews and I get contradictory results : Do nvme ssd with dram consume less power or dramless are better in that aspect ? Does anyone have an answer on that ?
Comparing the reviews made at tomshardware site on ADATA XPG SX 8200pro and on Samsung 980, the latter seems to perform better in everyday tasks, power management, seq r/w and random r/w. It lacks however in sustained r/w operations due to hmb. The thing is i will rarely if ever copy files greater than 30GB.

Cheers,
S

USAFRet

Titan
So, what I am asking in particular is: Should I opt for an external ssd with dram cache or the fact that it will be at an enclosure will not make a difference. Also, I am confused, I 've searched multiple posts and reviews and I get contradictory results : Do nvme ssd with dram consume less power or dramless are better in that aspect ? Does anyone have an answer on that ?
Comparing the reviews made at tomshardware site on ADATA XPG SX 8200pro and on Samsung 980, the latter seems to perform better in everyday tasks, power management, seq r/w and random r/w. It lacks however in sustained r/w operations due to hmb. The thing is i will rarely if ever copy files greater than 30GB.

Cheers,
S
OS use is not large sustained files.
Mostly, tiny 4k segments.

Power consumption is probably a toss up, and almost certainly very tiny, in comparison to the rest of the laptop.

Nov 29, 2022
Good point !
So, for my use scenario you suggest samsung 980 over adata xpg sx8200 pro I suppose ?
Any other suggestion will be more than welcome
Thanks.