Question SSD Game Drive

Jan 2, 2019
I'm looking for a 2tb nvme ssd to replace my 2tb hard drive. My budget is $200 max or 10k PHP. I've already checked multiple online stores/sites, and unfortunately, only the Kingston NV1 and Crucial P2 is available for around $150-160 after discount. I know they have pretty low TBW and 'might' not last as long as others but I'll only use it for my game archive and my old files. I'd still keep my 2tb hdd as its only 2 years old and will act as a back-up in case I'll lose the files. I'm replacing my hdd to lessen the cable clutter, and have a faster time searching and viewing old files. TIA

I'm looking for a 2tb nvme ssd to replace my 2tb hard drive. My budget is $200 max or 10k PHP. I've already checked multiple online stores/sites, and unfortunately, only the Kingston NV1 and Crucial P2 is available for around $150-160 after discount. I know they have pretty low TBW and 'might' not last as long as others but I'll only use it for my game archive and my old files. I'd still keep my 2tb hdd as its only 2 years old and will act as a back-up in case I'll lose the files. I'm replacing my hdd to lessen the cable clutter, and have a faster time searching and viewing old files. TIA
That "pretty low TBW " means 10+ years for gaming use.

Reactions: Inthrutheoutdoor
Unless your adding and subtracting games/data on a regular basis I would not be too concerned with tbw.

Either of those are fine for gaming drives, I would go with something more fancy for a boot drive. However for a gaming drive they will be more than good enough. The low TBW rating in my view should be of no concern at all unless your doing very heavy writes like editing lots of 4k video or something. If it's just running games and occasionally removing them and installing them then it will take you forever to get through it's lifespan.

I have a Samsung 850 that I used for several years as a Steam drive and some light SQL Server stuff. I've written 4TB's to it, in contrast I've written over 80TB on a newer Samsung 970 Evo.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
I have migrated my games folder (Steam) to a an excellent 2 TB SATA MX500. There is hardly any difference in gaming, according to many studies, between SATA and nvme ssd drives.
I am very pleased with the performance and the quality of this highly rated drive.

It' costs about $175 from Amazon right now (with excellent reviews). I highly recommend it.

Crucial MX500

Last edited: