SSD going bad??

UpGrade01

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
I have been having some issues with complete system crash / just application crashing to desktop (mainly games). I ran HD tune on my ssd... now keep in mind i have 1 ssd for games only and 1 for os and other stuff. Both ssd are the exact same model, make, and size. Running hdtune and benchmarking both ssd it looks like the one that is used for my games is performing 1000-1200 iops slower then its brother. Could this difference in performance be the cause of my system/games crashing randomly. System only crashes while playing a game. I check the sector's of the hdd though and it reports no bad sectors.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Having a SSD toss a bad sector wouldn't (shouldn't) cause a BSOD, since almost every SSD has spare sectors for ones that wear out through age. The firmware would just silently re-map to a new sector (well, as much as SSD's have 'sectors'... lol I guess pages would be more accurate), and mark it as bad and update the SMART status codes.

Now, that's how -you'll- find out if its the SSD (I'm not thinking it is). You'll need something that reads the SMART codes (Acronis Drive Monitor is free, others are out there as well) and look for 'pending bad sectors'.

What is more likely to cause a crash like that is either the RAM, or the PSU getting old. RAM can go bad with age, and what happens with a PSU is the capacitors go bad, allowing power spikes from the PSU to get through - which can play havoc with what is certainly sensitive electronic equipment.

So - to test RAM: memtest86.exe - find it, put it on a bootable dos thumbdrive, run it for about 4-8 hours.

PSU tests are significantly trickier as you need an oscilloscope. Or if your PSU is 5 years or older, just replace it with a quality unit.

UpGrade01

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
Well, i ran memtest86 for 14hours which completed 8 passes with no errors i also have a corsair AX1200watt that is less than 6 months old. I know that doesnt mean it didnt go bad. That ssd that i have for my system is roughly 4-5 years old

Make sure both ssd have the same firmware and both are on intel sata ports. some mb have asmedia ports and are not made for os drives. make sure the mb has the newest bios and the ram is set right. use hardware monitor set it to sensor and logging make sure the 12v rail is holding. if your using amd 9000 cpu the vrm of the mb may not be holding the over wattage cpu.

UpGrade01

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
This issue just started to arise about a month ago. 100% completely crash to desktop or BSOD. I have and intel 5820k OC to 4.2 @ 1.225v. It has veen super stable so far without any issues until now.