SSD + hardrive

thatguy14

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Hey just a quick question concerning this combo. I want to have the speed a SSD offers to an operating system but Im a little limited in terms of budget. If i wanted to buy like a 60gb SSD with the OS installed on there and use a 1tb HDD as sort of a backup; can i play games that are installed to the HDD drive? Will this affect speed? I know that the read speed will then be limited by the HDD but will there be a further dramatic decrease in speed due to going through the SSD first?

Solution
Whenever you install a program/game you are almost always given a choice of where you want to install it to. Sometimes the software calls it "Custom install" or "Advanced install". You just change the directory from your C: drive to your D: drive.

If you are installing Steam games then that’s a different situation.
You can use this software so that you can install Steam on your SSD but have the games on your HDD: http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover/

Whenever you install a program/game you are almost always given a choice of where you want to install it to. Sometimes the software calls it "Custom install" or "Advanced install". You just change the directory from your C: drive to your D: drive.

If you are installing Steam games then that’s a different situation.
You can use this software so that you can install Steam on your SSD but have the games on your HDD: http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover/

Solution

That makes no sense at all. Either your game is loading from the SSD or it's loading from the hard drive. Nothing passes thru the SSD first. If it loads from the SSD, load times will be faster. Remember, this doesn't make games play better or all programs run better. It just decreases load times.

60gig is also kind of small, especially for win 7. I can easily fill 60 gig with just the OS and a few games.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009

n
n
nYou don't have to use software to install steam games to another hard drive. Google "mklink" and steam and there are plenty of instructions on how to do this from the command line.

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Dude!!! Thanks for posting that. I have been looking all over to find out how to do this. Glad I just happened by this thread. Thanks again. I would double select this as best answer if I could hehe.