Question SSD has.. lost all windows files?

ngrass92

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
I'm a dumb dumb. It's actually my m.2 SSD that has appeared to die. I forgot that I moved over the install a while back.

Big problem today. My Sandisk 240gb SSD boot disk has seemingly had a hiccup. All seemed to be going normal today when something (think I was looking in a drobox folder or something) started to hang in the explorer window. All of the sudden, light blue screen with the usual "Something has gone wrong, we need to collect info.. etc."

Ok, let's try to restart. Boot disk not recognized. Went to second option (Ethernet controller or something random). Checked in BIOS, SSD still listed as the first option.

Ok, let's try to USB windows media repair it. Attempt startup repair.. "couldn't repair your PC."

Ok, let's try chkdsk. No errors with /f or /r.

Ok, let's try to rebuild the BCD. CMD prompt:

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Total identified Windows installations: 0

Ok, next steps from this troubleshooting thread:

bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup

The store export operation has failed.
The requested system device cannot be found.

Another thread tells me this won't work on USB 3.0 ports. Tried with a 2.0, but no luck there either. It says I may need a DVD copy of the repair/install disk. Who even has a DVD drive anymore?!

From the same thread:

"Update: Another user (improvedcomputers) contacted me to confirm that this also happened to them; as all their USB slots were unrecognized by Windows 7 PE they ended up having to pull the drive and perform the repair on another computer. "

How do I perform the repair on another computer?

Popped the SSD into an external bay. Recognized immediately on another computer. Only 1 folder remains.. my game install folder. None of the standard program files/windows/users/etc. folders. Just my one games folder. Games folder is 132 gb. Drive shows only 44gb of 240 available, so something is somewhere!! Even tried Recuva, and all I'm seeing in a deep scan are overwritten/deleted files from the D:\Games folder.

Any and all help is appreciated. Major files are backed up, but I have some less than critical files that I'd really like to get back.

Last edited:

ngrass92

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
  1. Don't remember, didn't think anything of it at the time :(
  2. SSD is ~5 or 6 yrs old, never had an issue. Up to date Sandisk firmware.
  3. No go, but I'll give it one now with the good computer

ngrass92

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
No luck with the virus scan nor an EaseUS quick scan. Any other thoughts?

What's my best shot at locating the files taking up space on the drive? I feel like if I can get to those, I can restore them and recreate the BCD from there..