[SOLVED] SSD Has to be initialized and reformatted after reboot.

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
Hey guys I have a problem with a SSD holding data. The problem is when I initialize and format my SSD I restart my computer and it is recognized and everything is fine but on the second reboot after initialization the drive is gone and windows ask me to repeat the process of initialization and reformat. I have 2 other m.2 nvme that run fine and keep their format and data. I also use a external USB HHD for backup that also has no issue. Hoping someone might be able to help me with this problem.

My System:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Gigabyte x570 Elite Wi-Fi rev.1
32gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 Ram
Elgato HD 60 Pro
Soundblaster AE-5 Soundcard
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super
512gb Corsair M600 NvME gen.4
1tb WD Blue NvME gen.3
4tb External Toshiba HHD
1tb SanDisk Ultra SSD Sata 2.5 (This is the drive that erases itself)
Windows 10
Acronis is used for backup on my system (didnt know if this may cause issues with storage)

Here is a video of the problem is you wanna watch might make it easier to diagnose:

Thanks for your help in advance. If you need more information please just let me know and I'll try and provide it.

Solution
You aren't understanding the problem when I restart my computer windows makes me reinitialize and reformat my drive. It is no longer in windows file manager it's just gone. Thats the problem I'm trying to fix . I have backups of all my files. recovery is no problem it's getting my ssd to be useful again. Watch the video I posted and you will see what I am saying.
No, it is you who doesn't understand. Windows doesn't make you do anything. It prompts you, but that's all. It is up to you to decline the prompt and then repair the damage with DMDE. That takes a few clicks and one or two minutes of your time.

As for you video, I did try to watch it before my first reply, but it became extremely tedious. You could have explained...
I believe you are experiencing the same problem which I have seen in several storage forums.

Can you show us the Partitions window in DMDE? Do this after the problem appears.

https://dmde.com/download.html

This appears to be a similar problem:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-after-6-hours-shutdown-2-nvmes-fine.3641381/

Both platforms (and others) involve GigaByte motherboards and AMD Ryzen CPUs. The "solution" in that other thread doesn't satisfy me because the root cause was not identified.

Last edited:
Yes, that's it. It appears that the drive has been reinitialised. Did you do that?

If you double-click the "$Noname 01" partition and expand the $Root, do you see your file/folder tree? If so, then r-click each of the "Microsoft Reserved" and "Basic data" partitions and select "Remove the partition". Then r-click the "$Noname 01" partition and select "Insert the partition (undelete)". Apply Changes and reboot. Hopefully you should see your data.

This doesn't actually address the root cause, but it does allow you to recover your partition(s) relatively painlessly.

Last edited:

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
I'll try that and that would be nice to get my data back. But the issue is of it continuously having to be reinitialized and reformatted Thanks for your help atleast it is a place to start.

Manzonnie

Prominent
Aug 26, 2019
You aren't understanding the problem when I restart my computer windows makes me reinitialize and reformat my drive. It is no longer in windows file manager it's just gone. Thats the problem I'm trying to fix . I have backups of all my files. recovery is no problem it's getting my ssd to be useful again. Watch the video I posted and you will see what I am saying.

Have you downloaded the SanDisk SSD Dashboard Software to check the health of your drive? Perhaps the SSD is defective. These drives do have a 5 year warranty.

image.png.ee70e7ba8d21848a363efb3c5e855f17.png

No, it is you who doesn't understand. Windows doesn't make you do anything. It prompts you, but that's all. It is up to you to decline the prompt and then repair the damage with DMDE. That takes a few clicks and one or two minutes of your time.

As for you video, I did try to watch it before my first reply, but it became extremely tedious. You could have explained the problem with a couple of paragraphs of plain text and one or two screenshots. In fact I have responded to two other similar problems in the past few days.

That said, I don't understand the root cause of your problem. I have merely provided a simple solution to enable you to reinstate your partitions without going through a full format. But if you prefer to keep on initialising and formatting, then go for it.

Last edited:
Solution