Question SSD/HDD Failure

Sep 21, 2020
Hello everyone,

I recently swapped out basically everything in my computer I have an SSD and HDD and a m.2 the HDD failed and I've just left it unplugged for a while now well i went to recently transfer all of my buddies stuff into a new case and the SSD failed as well I don't know if its something I'm doing wrong or what but i can plug in the SSD or HDD into my computer and they'll both instantly crash my computer and wont allow them to turn on ..what could be causing this there both fairly new storage devices ?

If these drives were inserted/connected while power was applied, perhaps something touched/shorted somewhere that should not have... (I never connect drives' SATA power connectors or even data cables with power applied, 'hot swap' capable or not, which does not prevent momentary shorts tinkering with lining cables up!)

Not sure if/what happened in your case...; could just be very bad luck.

BUt, if a system locks up with a drive merely connected, and you are not dealing with bad SATA power cables, then the drive would seem to be causing said condition...(assuming the PSU did not spike and nuke a few things, which although uncommon

Sep 21, 2020
I'm only hot swapping now because of the current condition of the storage devices I originally didn't do that ..so i know that isn't the issue and I've tried multiple spare cables ... never had one do this to me before like my computer wont even boot when there plugged in

Sep 21, 2020
Could a faulty power supply be the issue because the same PSU was used for both the SSD and HDD and now I have a new one that hasn't had any issues