ssd+hdd or ssd+sshd

samstalker

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
i wanted to buy an ssd and hdd but then i thought why not get ssd+sshd but i'm not sure that sshd will give any speed benefit over an hdd if it's placed with an ssd. can anyone help me and tell me if an sshd will give me any better performance than hdd when paired with an ssd?

Solution
the cache is controlled by sshd and will only be used by files you run a lot. It won't be used for unpacking zip files but if you played the same game all the time it might include files from them... might. You have no control over what it is used for. Better to spend money on more space than a cache that may not be used at all.

Colif

Win 11 Master
sshd only really makes sense if you were using it instead of the ssd. I would get ssd + hdd.

main advantage to sshd is it has a small cache space it can use to store frequently used software. This isn't as useful if the drive is just storage and the cache is completely redundant in a system with an ssd.

samstalker

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014

so that sshd won't help at all in games and unpacking zipped files over hdd?

Colif

Win 11 Master
the cache is controlled by sshd and will only be used by files you run a lot. It won't be used for unpacking zip files but if you played the same game all the time it might include files from them... might. You have no control over what it is used for. Better to spend money on more space than a cache that may not be used at all.

Solution

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017

To add on, there is only 8GB of this cache like storage within the SSHD.

A SSHD is useless in anything that you DO NOT access extremely frequently - so unpacking, installing, etc would see zero benefit. If you regularly throw high levels of disk activity at the drive, everything useful gets shoved out of the cache. I used to have one that, after a pictures slideshow that I had for a screensaver, would slow booting and everything else back to a crawl.