SSD + HDD Storage and OS Help

JustCallMeAllen

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
Okay guys, I have my Windows and all of my files stored on my 1TB WD green. I have 131 GB of info on there. I just got my Kingston 240GB SSD and I am trying to run my OS off of the SSD, and keep all of my files on the HDD. I have been working on this for at least a day or so now and I cannot seem to get it to work. Is there a way that I can get all of my data and old settings onto the SSD? I heard that the term is Migrate or Clone, but all of the programs I have found are either expensive or don't work. I need a tutorial or some sort of help because I have already installed Windows on the SSD twice trying to get it to work.

Solution

For the most part, that won't work.
The applications need to be reinstalled. When you install something, many entries are made in the Registry and elsewhere.
Some few applications would work, but the majority will need to be actually installed with the new OS.

JustCallMeAllen

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014

Oops I didn't mean to pick you as solution, but I would unlplug the HDD, install Windows on the SSD, and then plug the HDD back in, and then it would boot from the Hard Drive.

JustCallMeAllen

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014

I had already done this in the BIOS, but I will attempt again. When I tried it once, it said failed BRMGBoot Loader or something of the Sorts. And then I was forced to pres Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart. Give me a moment to test this.

JustCallMeAllen

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014

I set the SSD as the primary boot and it still booted off of the HDD. I don't know what to do at this point, but I might need to reinstall Windows on the SSD.

JustCallMeAllen

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014

I was successfully able to boot from the SSD continuously, but I was wondering if I could transfer any of my data such as my User files and program files from my HDD which still has my Old installation on it. Any knowledge on that?

USAFRet

Titan

For the most part, that won't work.
The applications need to be reinstalled. When you install something, many entries are made in the Registry and elsewhere.
Some few applications would work, but the majority will need to be actually installed with the new OS.

Solution

JustCallMeAllen

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014

I have a few apps that I use for my homework that stored data on my pc. Is there any way I can use the backup that I have to restore the PC with those files?

USAFRet

Titan

Not really, no.