Question SSD health dropping extremely fast.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That Transcend drive has a TBW (Terabytes written) lifespan of 40TBW. You are at 35.5TBW .
By the On count, it's 6.5 years old if you turned it on basically once every day.

Regardless of Transcend claims or marketing, they use lower grade silicon, it's much cheaper than what's used by Micron or Samsung, to keep manufacturing costs down.

There are reasons why Transcend is so cheap, half the price tag of a Samsung drive, and I'm guessing you just found one of them. It's a 240Gb drive, it's going to have a short lifespan, and the junk silicon Transcend uses isn't going to help that one bit.

There's no fixing this, only replacing it and I'd do it soon before that health number gets too low and data corruption becomes a reality.

7704 hours on.

That is the equivalent of 10 hours a day for about 2 years.

21 TB written in that time.

Somewhat more than most people I'd say, but not wildly so. About twice what I write.

The 53% figure has minimal correlation to your overall experience.

I'd use it till it drops, with backups of course.

If highly worried and you can't stand looking at that number, buy another drive.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The SanDisk II 120Gb (from when they were still good before WD bought SanDisk) has a TBW of 80Tb, the 240Gb has double that with a TBW of 160Gb as compared to the Transcend at 40TBW.
Thats seriously low. Total nand writes should be rated at above an amplification of 2.0 vs host writes, it's not, it's well under that at @ 1.66. It's junk silicon at its best.

In HDD terms basically you are on the edge of loosing sectors, once that starts happening it will cascade over time until the drive becomes untenable. That could be a week, a month, days. If it's the OS drive, that can easily mean you boot up one day and get a message to install a valid bootable drive. One tiny glitch in the boot sector and the drive is useless. Data on the drive may or may not be recoverable.

Your choice.