SSD in 12 year old laptop

vule.pcgeek

Commendable
Oct 15, 2017
Hi,
My father's Acer Aspire 5610z (the legendary laptop with some sentimental value for me for some reason) has it's old 80GB WD Black hard drive (stronger than anything) which is slow and very old. So I thought putting SSD into it to give it new life. Is it possible? I planned to use Kingston SSDNow 120GB SA400S37/120G. I don't know if it has SATA interface or not, since i googled that and found nearly nothing about that. So what do you think about this? I'm scared to put Win7 there because it has old Pentium Dual Core T2060 on 1.6GHz and 2GB DDR2 RAM, so I would like to stick with Windows XP since it's working fine on that. Laptop is being used for e-mail, light web browsing etc.

Exact model number: Acer Aspire 5610z 5612ZNWLMi

P.S: Should I really try using Vista SP2 here?

Solution
Looks like it's SATA. You can look yourself, it's only two screws.

Laptop manufacturers switched to SATA later than desktop, because SATA used more power than IDE--it transmits over the bus continuously even if it's all zeroes to indicate nothing is happening. That made the battery life benchmarks look bad. So good thing it has that.

32-bit Win 7 should work just fine on such a machine. It's still faster than most cheap tablets.
Looks like it's SATA. You can look yourself, it's only two screws.

Laptop manufacturers switched to SATA later than desktop, because SATA used more power than IDE--it transmits over the bus continuously even if it's all zeroes to indicate nothing is happening. That made the battery life benchmarks look bad. So good thing it has that.

32-bit Win 7 should work just fine on such a machine. It's still faster than most cheap tablets.

Solution