SSD into old laptop

grana92

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Hi everyone! I need some opinions on my idea. I have a old but extremely reliable HP ProBook 4710s, this thing has been serving me faithfully for more than 7 years now and it really survive some hell with overheating, gaming, working for weeks without shutting down etc..

Specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core2Duo T5870 2.0GHz
RAM: 3GB DDR3
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330
HDD: 250GB Something Something

At the current state the device is still working pretty well with some stutters and lags on more demanding software. My question is, will I get a significant performance boost if I replace the HDD with an SSD? And if yes, which SSD should I buy?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
You would get a good boost in app starting times, pc startup times and sometimes when a game needs to access its installed data. Pretty much whenever your system needs to access the hard drive. Other than that you won't get any extra performance, still an SSD would be great.

An SSD will not help fix your stutter and lag issues.
You have two options - first keep the hdd and replace the CD-RW with an SSD. Second option is - just replace the hdd with an SSD. Personally I would go for the second. And I would get samsung evo 850, best for the price really, unless you are on an extremely tight budget, then the A-Data SP550 is the best option, but personally I would go for the samsung evo 850. The 500gb version will be more than enough (though you could run with the 250gb) and if your laptop dies, you can always transfer it to the next one.

theunliked

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
You would get a good boost in app starting times, pc startup times and sometimes when a game needs to access its installed data. Pretty much whenever your system needs to access the hard drive. Other than that you won't get any extra performance, still an SSD would be great.

An SSD will not help fix your stutter and lag issues.

Solution
The page file would/or should be stored on the SSD so that would help significantly also, especially since you only have 3gb of ram. You probably won't notice any difference in web-surfing, or normal stuff, but in multi-tasking, you will.