Question SSD is not showing up at BIOS and Windows

Jun 22, 2020
not sure if this belongs in the Storage section or Motherboard section

My motherbord is MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max, CPU is Ryzen 5 3600, SSD is Crucial P2 250gb. the SSD's spec's are: Form Factor - m2_2280, Interface - PCIe G3 1x4 / NVMe, PCIe NVMe Gen 3

this is my first PC build, i did the assembly myself. when i tried to install the SSD on the M2_1 slot i initially didnt use a M.2 screw and screwed the SSD directly into the motherboard in the M2_1 slot with a nearby standoff, so the SSD didnt rest parallel to the motherboard. when i realised my mistake i used a standoff to make it parallel to the motherboard, and then M.2 screw to keep it there, and the SSD was now parallel to the motherboard. when the entire assembly was over, i started the PC, got to the BIOS, it was recognising everything (CPU, RAM, HDD, etc) but not the SSD. i fear i broke the SSD and/or M2_1 slot. also, when i tried to install Windows, Windows recognised the HDD and would allow me to install it there, but it didnt show me the SSD. i havent installed Windows yet.

Motherboard manual says regarding PCIe bandwidth when using 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation AMD Ryzen processors:

M2_1 (CPU), for single its Gen 3.0 x 4, for 2-way its Gen 3.0 x 4
M2_2 (PCH), for single its Gen 2.0 x 4, for 2-way its Gen 2.0 x 4
It also says:

1.) SATA port 1 will be unavailable when installing SATA M.2 SSD in M2_2 slot
2.) PCI_E6 slot will be unavailable when installing PCIe M.2 SSD in M2_2 slot.
3.) M2_1 slot only supports PCIe mode

what do you think i should do? did i break the SSD and/or M2_1 slot? should i try installing the SSD into the M2_2 slot? what are the differences between the M2_1 and M2_2 slots?

Last edited:
As long as there is no visible damage, it's fine. Do you find some damage like stratch or broken pins on your ssd and their slot ?

should i try installing the SSD into the M2_2 slot?
just try it. different slot may give a different result.

what are the differences between the M2_1 and M2_2 slots?
one slot is direct to the CPU and is PCIe Gen3 x4 (=M2_1).
The second slot is to the chipset, typically can accommodate PCIe Gen2 x4 speeds OR a SATA-based drive (and would be labelled M2_2).

Jun 22, 2020
As long as there is no visible damage, it's fine. Do you find some damage like stratch or broken pins on your ssd and their slot ?

just try it. different slot may give a different result.

one slot is direct to the CPU and is PCIe Gen3 x4 (=M2_1).
The second slot is to the chipset, typically can accommodate PCIe Gen2 x4 speeds OR a SATA-based drive (and would be labelled M2_2).

i dont see any damage to the m2_1 slot. i tried the SSD again in that slot, didnt work. i tried the m2_2 slot, it worked, BIOS and Windows recognised it, installed Windows on that SSD.

TRENDING THREADS