Question SSD life degrading at a unprecedented rate

Jun 8, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I've started using CrystalDiskMark on a gaming pc i bought (mostly second hand parts) to test the speed of my drives.

I've noticed that each time I trim my SSD it degrades the speeds by a huge margin and I'm quite confused as too why.

After trimming for the first time I saw that the results were around 250mbs mark for reading and writing but after a second trim its now reading at 4mb.

I'm really not sure what to do or how this degraded so quickly... I hope this is recoverable.

Finding it a little difficult to get the pictures up on this post but I have uploaded everything to a imgur account including driver dates, stats, device info and my HDD drive data as a comparison.

View: https://imgur.com/user/MrSesh

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Mike

Jun 8, 2020
I trimmed the SSD and yeah sorry about the link didn't work but at the bottom of the broken image there is the url to the page.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2020
From my understanding when you delete big files from your SSD it will still leave data on the flash memory in order to increase the potential of the ssd you can trim it to improve its performance.

Of course its not the same as defrag, I'm quite aware that defraging a ssd will do damage.

the images show the speeds of a HDD drive and the other (the slow one) is the SSD.

The black image shows that Trimm on the drive is enabled so it should have any issues with being Trimming it

USAFRet

Titan
the images show the speeds of a HDD drive and the other (the slow one) is the SSD.
No, that link shows nothing related to your drives. At all.

In imgur, after you upload a pic, there is a dropdown that allows you to copy links to it, in various formats.
One of those formats being BBCode. Or the actual whatever.jpg.

All that link is is to /user/MrSesh. No file or image at all.

USAFRet

Titan
The images should be up now, they were hidden.

Thanks
Still the same.

This is what we see:
ajl47T2.png

Jun 8, 2020
SSD
CG8eHiL.png

HDD
sqWBh1E.png

Comand Prompt (apprently 0 means it enabled for SSD trimming)
bbz8Ugv.png

SSD Health Report (its looks like its completely fine)
BF3a22H.png

Drive version
U652uJW.png

Again sorry pal, never used imgur before or this forum although i get all my advice on here.

Jun 8, 2020
It came with windows pre-installed but would it not be the trimming action itself because I can't even see anything around trimming doing potential harm to a SSD on other forums? but it got worse after the second time i did it. Although I'm not experiencing any impact but I haven't gamed since this issue

USAFRet

Titan
It came with windows pre-installed but would it not be the trimming action itself because I can't even see anything around trimming doing potential harm to a SSD on other forums? but it got worse after the second time i did it. Although I'm not experiencing any impact but I haven't gamed since this issue
For ANY used system, you personally need to do a full wipe and reinstalled. Literally, any system you personally have not broken the original factory seal on.
You have no idea what is in there.

And it is still a SATA II port.

Jun 8, 2020
Thanks, I have contacted the ebay supplier to help with issue and possibly replacing SSD and I will look into doing a full reboot. Also thanks for informing me about the SATA II i was a little unsure. Still learning

Jun 8, 2020
SOLVED!

Just before I was going to try a system restore as I thought it could be a issue with me doing a deep optimisation yesterday but I quickly went into the BIOS and changed in advanced seetings the SATA configuration from AHCI to IDE.

apon booting I check to see a big change in the speeds.
QoD7MKt.png

To double check, I restated and did the test again!
nB0Kf4B.png

Seems that the motherboard itself must have some-sort of compatibility issue with that configuration or the SSD itself.