Question SSD lifespan with Crystal Disk Info.

Junglist

Prominent
Jan 20, 2022
My parent’s computer was purchased in 2012 with a Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD. It hasn’t given any issues so far. I’m considering how much longer it will last. I can’t find any specs on this SSD that tells me any info about lifespan or TBW. I’m not sure how to interpret everything Crystal Disk Info tells me. Does it tell me anything about how much longer the SSD will work for?

3M4Qtek.jpeg

It's a Sandforce SF-2000 powered drive with 25nm planar MLC flash, which is generally good to 3,000 write cycles.

The reason for the "99% good" health rating is because this drive has only been through 143 write cycles. Even after 3,000 write cycles (which at your current rate of use should take 230 years) it should still work--so long as other hardware in the drive hasn't failed, it just will no longer be able to retain data for at least a year unpowered at elevated temperatures (yes, that's all write-cycle lifespan means).

So you see, you can't really interpret anything from those values as the drive isn't written to frequently enough for it to be of any use. Something is bound to just fail before the 230 years is up, and the software cannot help you determine how long until then, only if failure is imminent right now. And it's not.

The reason for the "99% good" health rating is because this drive has only been through 143 write cycles. Even after 3,000 write cycles ...
I can see how you have arrived at this figure (= host writes / SSD capacity), assuming a write amplification (WAF) of 1. However, this would mean that the remaining life, as a percentage of rated P/E cycles, would be around 95% rather than 99%. Instead, a figure of 99% would imply that the average P/E cycle count is somewhere between 30 and 60 (= 2%), but that would mean that the WAF would be somewhere between 0.2 and 0.5. I know that SandForce used data compression in their SSDs, but this result seems at the extreme end of the plausible range.

:-??

Last edited:
Crystal disk info SSD health is more of a guess than reality, unless you do have something wrong with the SSD.

Most SSD's will shrink over time as it wears, some get slow, thats normal, and by the time its to a noticeable point, you'd probably be on bigger SSD anyway or even a whole different build.

I wouldn't worry about it.