Question SSD m.2 upgrade for my i7-8750H

El Geo

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
My laptop has a i7-8750H ( PCIe 3.0 SSD) and currently has an Intel 660p SSD (500 GB) on it. Since it's black friday week and there are some good deals on the German Amazon, I wanna buy a better SSD with bigger storage (2 TB).
The 4 that I found with 2 TB storage on good deals are:
  • Samsung MZ-V7S2T0BW SSD 970 EVO Plus - 3.500/3.300 MB/s
  • Samsung 980 PRO (PCIe 4.0) - 7000/5000 MB/s
  • WD_BLACK SN770 (NVMe PCIe Gen4) - 5150 MB/s
  • WD_BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) - 7,300 MB/s
The price between all of them is from 166 euros until 209 euros, so there isn't a huge difference. However keep in mind, my CPU only supports PCIe 3 so I guess if I use PCIe 4, it will downgrade it to 3, right? Also, do I need heatsink or that's not needed for them?

El Geo

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
Thanks for the answers, the reason I would even consider a PCIe 4 SSD while my laptop only accepts PCIe 3 is because I have a desktop that supports PCIe 4, but because I will have to live abroad for a few months due to work, I can only take my laptop with me, so I was thinking once I return home, I will put that SSD on my desktop. That's why I am still thinking if it's worth going for PCIe 4 since the price difference between them is less than 10 bucks.

Edit: Do PCIe 4 SSDs run really that much hotter than PCIe 3 ones? What happens if they run too hot? Is it the same as CPUs that they start throttle or it's even worse and more common that they can get damaged?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the answers, the reason I would even consider a PCIe 4 SSD while my laptop only accepts PCIe 3 is because I have a desktop that supports PCIe 4, but because I will have to live abroad for a few months due to work, I can only take my laptop with me, so I was thinking once I return home, I will put that SSD on my desktop. That's why I am still thinking if it's worth going for PCIe 4 since the price difference between them is less than 10 bucks.
Leaving the laptop with no drive?

Don't try to futureproof drive space.
Historically, drives get cheaper over time.