Question SSD no longer booting

konoxians

Honorable
Jun 7, 2016
Today I came home to my computer being in the BIOS after leaving my computer on and unable to boot to windows. I have a 250g SSD and a 2 TB HDD. Oddly, the HDD shows as 4G in BIOS. The SSD shows the normal 250G. Both are visible in BIOS. Also, my SSD seems to have really low space left, not sure if this matters. I have tried:
  • Reconnecting power and SATA cables
  • Blowing compressed air at the connections and cables
  • Using Windows Installation Media (it won't let me download onto my SSD's partitions)
  • Disconnecting the HDD and trying to boot with just the SSD
  • Using CHKDISK
  • Bootrec commands, but the /fixboot says access denied and the /rebuildbcd apparently didn't work.
  • Booting as Legacy and UEFI
  • Updated BIOS
Where I'm at now is just my SSD plugged in and when I try to boot to it it says: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device". I'm pretty sure this is because I have CSM enabled in the bios. I currently have Legacy boot on for storage devices. At this point, I don't really know what to do as nothing has worked. I would like to keep my data if possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Today I came home to my computer being in the BIOS after leaving my computer on and unable to boot to windows. I have a 250g SSD and a 2 TB HDD. Oddly, the HDD shows as 4G in BIOS. The SSD shows the normal 250G. Both are visible in BIOS. Also, my SSD seems to have really low space left, not sure if this matters. I have tried:
  • Reconnecting power and SATA cables
  • Blowing compressed air at the connections and cables
  • Using Windows Installation Media (it won't let me download onto my SSD's partitions)
  • Disconnecting the HDD and trying to boot with just the SSD
  • Using CHKDISK
  • Bootrec commands, but the /fixboot says access denied and the /rebuildbcd apparently didn't work.
  • Booting as Legacy and UEFI
  • Updated BIOS
Where I'm at now is just my SSD plugged in and when I try to boot to it it says: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device". I'm pretty sure this is because I have CSM enabled in the bios. I currently have Legacy boot on for storage devices. At this point, I don't really know what to do as nothing has worked. I would like to keep my data if possible. Thanks in advance for your help.
The last resort would be downloading a linux distro and mounting it on a usb stick. You should be able to boot from that and use its file manager to copy your essential files onto external media. Let us know if you need any help with that.