SSD no longer detected in BIOS, but after reboot from Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick_09

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Hi.

I just recently bought and set up a new computer (specs are at the end of this post). I installed everything with no issues whatsoever. I installed Windows 7 Pro, again no issues. That is, until I began to install Windows/driver updates. I don't remember exactly which, but after some update my SSD is no longer detected in BIOS every time I reboot the computer from Windows.

When I cold boot the computer, the SSD is detected just fine and boots into Windows. If I reboot the computer with the front panel reset button, again no issues. If I reboot from Windows, this issues occurs. The drive is no longer detected. No matter how many times I reboot the computer from that point on, it simply isn't detected, until I cold boot the computer.

Just to rule out some more "basic" sources of problems: yes all cables are properly connected. I've tried upgrading the SSD firmware, drivers, etc.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is causing this... is it a driver issue, is it the SSD, or is it the BIOS? Could the fact that this is a UEFI BIOS have anything to do with it?

I hope someone can shed some light on the subject.

Specs:

Mb: Asus Z87 Deluxe
CPU: Inte Core I5 4670k
RAM: 2x 4gb Corsair Vengeance
SSD: Corsair Force GS 240gb
Graphics: EVGA Geforce 770
Sound: Creative Soundblaster Z
PSU: Silverstone DA750

If you guys need more info, just ask!

Thank you.

Solution
This seems odd as pressing RESET should be exactly the same as rebooting Windows from software (once the warm boot starts up again).

I would say the issue is the BIOS.

The only thing I can think of is that it is related to the boot order as mentioned. I don't know why it would Cold Boot correctly though.

Examine the Boot Order section carefully and make sure the correct SSD is assigned as the default boot drive.

*If having issues troubleshooting boot order, shut down and UNHOOK the cables to the back of all SSD or HDD's aside from the boot drive and see what happens on restart then.

Rick_09

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
Well, I also tend to think that the issue is in BIOS. Yes, I do configure the boot order properly, with the SSD as 1st.

When I reboot from Windows and the issue occurs, the MB takes me directly to BIOS because as the SSD is "missing" and there is no other bootable device, there's nothing to boot to. Rebooting the computer from that point on just keeps taking me back to BIOS until I cold boot.
When I cold boot, again I'm taken to BIOS because now the boot order is screwed up... even though the SSD is now detectable again it is no longer the 1st device. So I have to reconfigure the boot order again. From that point on, after rebooting, everything works fine... that is until I reboot from Windows after which the same thing happens again.

When I get a chance later tonight I'll try unplugging the only other HDD I have. I'll keep you posted.

Other:
1) update the BIOS if possible

2) set SATA controller to AHCI if not already

3) Try a DIFFERENT SATA controller (you should always use the best controller which is often the INTEL one)

*Many motherboards have more than one SATA controller. It's easy to tell as they are grouped by COLOR (all SATA connectors of the same color use the same controller).

Solution

ReadyFreddy

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
i have the exact same problem here Z87-PRO and x2 Corsair Force GS 240gb, in raid 0, and i have the very exact same Problem as you, i have updated BIOS to 1707 from ASUStek suport site and all the SATA/RAID Drivers i could find i tried, tried allmost everything, posted on Youtube everywere, and im still w8ting for just 1 answer nobody seem to know of this problem...i will save this page and keep u posted and miself aswell, i hope we can come up with a solucion to this problem, as i read in here, they say that the intel drivers usualy work better, so im gona look at the Intel suport site and see if i can find a driver or two there and try them, GOOD LUCK! "My full setup is below". ^^

MB: Asus Z87-PRO
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
RAM: 4x4 Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Elite 1600Mhz CL-8
SSD: x2 Corsair Force GS 240gb
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 780
PSU: Corsair AX860i "860W PSU"
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Rick_09

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009

First of all, I would like to apologize for never having updated this post...
At the time, I found out the issue was tied to a BIOS configuration, although now I'm not exactly sure which one. I believe is was either the Intel Rapid Start Technology, and/or Intel Smart Connect technology configuration. I don't recall exactly which one of those it was and/or if there was some other config that caused the issue.

Check your BIOS config. Put everything to default and start from scratch to see if the issue goes away. If setting BIOS to default doesn't make the issue go away then you may have a different cause for your problem. Let us know if you make progress.

rewen

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Any updates ReadyFreddy? I am having the same issue with a new CPU and mobo and my old SSD.

I was thinking it might be my PSU as I just returned an FX-6300 for causing random reboots with my old mobo (which worked fine with a Phenom X6 1045T). I read that the PSU is often the culprit for issues like that, but since my old CPU worked fine I wrote it off as the new one being a dud. Then the other day I replaced both mobo and CPU and now I have this SSD issue instead. I am not sure if my SSD is dying (would be rather convenient timing since I just bought a new mobo & CPU) or if my PSU actually is at fault and I didn't have a dud FX-6300, or if it's something else.

No SSD detection on reboots (or sometimes detection but unusably slow/unreliable OS):
Mobo: ASUS H81M-E
CPU: Core i3 4330

Random reboots (event viewer message says something about NorthBridge):
Mobo: ASUS M5A78L-M LX Plus
CPU: FX 6300

Working fine:
Mobo: ASUS M5A78L-M LX Plus
CPU: Phenom X6 1045T

SSD is an OCZ Agility 2 120GB, FW 1.37
RAM is 2x4GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1833 (@ 1333)
My PSU is an 'Ultra' (TigerDirect brand w/ lifetime warranty) 550W purchased almost exactly 1yr ago.

I also have a 2TB WD HDD which is always detected without issue, which makes me think it's not the PSU, but perhaps it's just less sensitive to power flux.

Rick_09

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009

Have you tried setting all BIOS settings to factory defaults?

ReadyFreddy

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
i still have no solution to this problem.

I have updated all drivers from Asus web site to the lates Drivers, BIOS is up to date aswell was on "1205" now on "1707"

i have updated the folowing:
BIOS (1707)
Intel Rapid Start Technology Software ( V3.0.0.1056)
Intel Smart Connect Technology Software (V4.2.40.2357)

i have ran out of solutions now, i have few friends with same mobo with same SSD and same problem.... idk what the hell is causing this, and i have no solution yet..... i will keep looking, but dont relly on me to find it, i can live with this but sometimes its a little bothering wen updates need to install, coz u need to go bios and setup the SSD's to 1st boot device, else why would i want 2 ssd's in raid 0 and still take long in booting coz it looking troug a list of 4 devices for and OS ........ anyway, good luck!

rewen

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I have a feeling that it's a similar issue. I'm sure this is already all mentioned above (I am in a rush otherwise I'd re-read everything) but here's what I would suggest:
- Update BIOS (you did)
- Update SSD firmware
- Use AHCI mode in BIOS
- Enable Hot Plug on your SATA port if you can
- Disable Intel Rapid Start in BIOS
- Disable Intel Smart Connect BIOS
- Check for Boot CSM settings in BIOS. These are compatibility settings. Try turning these on.
- Try a different SATA port if you have any that use a different chipset

I would say it's not related to drivers and you probably only noticed the issue the first time because it was the first non-cold boot you had done since building the machine.

biff_lewis

Reputable
Apr 23, 2014

Enabling Hot Plug on the SATA port worked for me, Gigabyte B85M-D3H Motherboard.
Thanks subhero

NSTG

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
I have just figured out that my SSD (San Disk, 256GB Ultra Plus) will NOT boot when it is warm. I started by putting my laptop over the air conditioner vent. After a few minutes, the machine would boot. Then I cloned my SSD to a new one and put it in a hot car. After 30 minutes, the machine boots fine. Problem solved. Time to send this SSD back under warranty.
To test this, you should put your SSD into the refrigerator for a few minutes and try it out.

JanezM

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Hello there!
I don't know if it isn't too late already for suggestions, and I don't know, if this will help, but I'll post anyway. I had the same problem - after installing SSD and installing WIN 10 (both for the first time), I created dual boot enviroment, since I still kept my WIN 7 on my older HDD.
When I shut down the comp and turn it on again, it was fine, and the dialog with the preffered booting system appeared, but after restarting, BIOS wouldn't recognize SSD anymore. So I always had to turn off the comp, and turn it on again.
So what seemed to solve my issue? In booting options (I think it's under msconfig, I can't tell exactly right now) I tried disabling GUI boot dialog, and it actually worked for me. As weird as it sounds but the system obviously had issues with the GUI, even though I have a MB that supports GUI.

ReadyFreddy

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
so i changed some things in the BIOS and took a picture of the changes and now its working perfectly

changes in BIOS:
agressive LPM Support [Disabled] > [Auto]
S.M.A.R.T. Status check [Disabled] > [Enabled]
Hot Plug [Disabled] > [Enabled] This i dit to each of the boot SSD drives since im runing Raid 0
Fast Boot [Enabled] > [Disabled]
Hardware fast boot [Enabled] > [Disabled]

i hope it works for you all!!! Good LUCK!

ReadyFreddy

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

This is the solution.

You need to activate "HOT PLUG" for you're ssd drive in BIOS, under advanced bios settings. Had exactly same problem. That solved it 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.