SSD not able to boot windows 10

jadalton02

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I installed a new HDD and tried to boot my computer normally (it was working just moments ago). It failed to boot giving me the message “reboot and select proper boot device”
I tried new sata ports and cables, reseating some of the hardware, and resetting the CMOS but nothing solved the issue.
I grabbed a new SSD and did a clean windows install on it. Now my computer is running just fine but I would love my old copy of windows and all my programs back.
When I plug the original SSD into my computer it reads perfectly fine and all the necessary files appear to be there and windows can’t detect any problems with it. But when I select it as a boot device in my BIOS is just gives me the same message: “reboot and select proper boot device”

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Windows 10 has a habbit of installing boot loader file to another hdd. When installing Win10 remember to disconnect all other drives to avoid this.

Put back storage drives to how you had it before and same sata ports so Win10 can read the boot loader from the correct drive.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Windows 10 has a habbit of installing boot loader file to another hdd. When installing Win10 remember to disconnect all other drives to avoid this.

Put back storage drives to how you had it before and same sata ports so Win10 can read the boot loader from the correct drive.

Solution