SSD not being detected in Win 7

Thulram

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
I know many of you have probably gone through similar questions however, either the conditions were slightly different or the answers didn't work.

My new Adata XPG SX8200 M.2 NVMe SSD is not being detected in the Disk Management tool but it does show up in the bios. After I installed it and booted up Windows said it could not successfully install the necessary drivers and so now sits as "PCI Device" in Device Manager. I can't update it's firmware to see if this is the cause as the Adata SSD Toolbox software requires it to have been detected by Windows.

I do have the certain CSM sub-option set to "UEFI only" but this did nothing. I do have other HDDs connected so can't switch CSM off.

Mobo - ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+

Solution
Install NVME driver.
You can get it from Gigabyte windows USB installation tool (windows 7 downloads).
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z170-HD3-DDR3-rev-10#support-dl-utility
Extract the archive,
locate 2 hotfixes in WindowsImageTool\HOTFIX folder- those have to be installed (if not installed already),
then locate NVME driver in WindowsImageTool\StorageControllers folder.
You can install either Intel NVME driver or Samsung driver.

Edit. Ah yes - I hope you have service pack 1 installed. If not, then it has to be installed before everything else.
Install NVME driver.
You can get it from Gigabyte windows USB installation tool (windows 7 downloads).
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z170-HD3-DDR3-rev-10#support-dl-utility
Extract the archive,
locate 2 hotfixes in WindowsImageTool\HOTFIX folder- those have to be installed (if not installed already),
then locate NVME driver in WindowsImageTool\StorageControllers folder.
You can install either Intel NVME driver or Samsung driver.

Edit. Ah yes - I hope you have service pack 1 installed. If not, then it has to be installed before everything else.

Solution

Thulram

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
Is there a difference between the Intel and Samsung drivers?

Updated -> Also, there's no actual installer for the Samsung driver (just what appears to be the driver itself) and the Intel driver won't run because there's no Intel NVMe device.