[SOLVED] SSD not detected in M.2 (M2_2) slot of ASRock B550M Pro4 mother board

Oct 20, 2021
Newly installed to the above MB I have a MSI SPATIUM M470 M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 in the M_1 slot of this MB and an ADATA ADATA XPG SX6000 is in the M_2 slot.

MSI SSD
ADATA SSD

Most of the time the ADATA is not detected in the BIOS and thus windows 10 does not detect it either.

Very infrequently it will be detected in BIOS and in Win 10. If this ADATA SSD is in the M_1 slot and the MSI is in the M_2 slot the ADATA it appears to be always detected and then the MSI appears to be intermittently detected. This ADATA SSD has worked fine in a previous computer with an ASUS MB with no issues. The MSI is a new SSD.

Any suggestion on what might be going on? How next to troubleshoot further. Thanks in advance.

Solution
If two separate drives are facing the same issue with that slot, then it cannot be a problem with the drives. Either there is an issue with the slot, loose connection, or maybe something to do with the BIOS. Check whether you are on the right BIOS and make sure that the drive is properly slotted in the M2 port. If the issue persists, RMA might be your other option.
If two separate drives are facing the same issue with that slot, then it cannot be a problem with the drives. Either there is an issue with the slot, loose connection, or maybe something to do with the BIOS. Check whether you are on the right BIOS and make sure that the drive is properly slotted in the M2 port. If the issue persists, RMA might be your other option.

Solution
Oct 20, 2021

Thanks for your reply Hellfire👍

I have reseated the ADATA in the M_2 slot probably 3 times now.

I updated to the latest BIOS for this MB from Ver 2.20 to 2.30 and still having the same issue. Ugh
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550M Pro4/index.asp#BIOS

Here is the before and after.

Bios update update before and after

I hope I don't have to RMA this board

Anything else I might try?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021
Well I did some more testing with just one SSD at a time and if the ADATA SSD is not in one of the M2 slots then the MSI SSD is detected in the M_2 slot by itself connected to MB.

I put the ADATA back on the Asus MB and it picked it up right away and did diagnostic test on it with ADATA's SSD tool kit and the ADATA SSD is healthy.

There were not firmware updates available for the ADATA SSD. So at this point I'm guessing the ASRock bios does not play well with that SSD. This is unfortunate and not a good impression for me of this ASRock MB. 😞

Last edited:
Well I did some more testing with just one SSD at a time and if the ADATA SSD is not in one of the M2 slots then the MSI SSD is detected in the M_2 slot by itself connected to MB.

I put the ADATA back on the Asus MB and it picked it up right away and did diagnostic test on it with ADATA's SSD tool kit and the ADATA SSD is healthy.

There were not firmware updates available for the ADATA SSD. So at this point I'm guessing the ASRock bios does not play well with that SSD. This is unfortunate and not a good impression for me of this ASRock MB. 😞
That's a very unique issue. Quite possible, but then, I wonder how it is working solo without any problem. Maybe, pairing with a secondary is a problem. The SX6000 variant was launched way back in 2017 as an entry level lineup to complement their SX7000/8000 series, which were better built. At this point, not sure how much support you will get regarding the same, but having a chat with ASRock and AData support might not be a bad idea. Do not keep much expectations though.

Oct 20, 2021
Yeah, it's and old SSD so perhaps I'm expecting to much compatibility wise. It appears I'm finding out SSDs and MBs are more picky with each other and MBs and and SATA drives, whether SSD or HDD.