[SOLVED] SSD not detected

Nov 17, 2020
Hi,

The SSD in my laptop has failed, in the best of worlds I would atleast like to recover my data, if at all possible. I have tried a few things and read various websites but would value some advice on what to do, or if I should give up.

I was working on my laptop and it froze. I have had the laptop for about one year without issues. I restarted it and it did not start Windows. I ran the diagnostic test in BIOS and got a message that the hard drive could not be detected. I have tried rebooting multiple times with no luck. I mounted the SSD in another laptop with the same specs, still nothing. I also tried connecting it to a PC SSD-USB adapter (Icy box), I can see that the adapter is connected as a device but can't access the drive. Any suggestions are appreciated.

The laptop is a Dell xps 15 9575,
Intel i7 8705G 3.1 GHz
16 GB RAM
512 GB SSD PC401 NVMe SK hynix

Solution
If its not detected in the original system, and if it is also not detected in a whole different system, it may just be...dead.

I've had that happen.
What saved my data was the proactive backup routine.

Dead drives happen.

USAFRet

Titan
If its not detected in the original system, and if it is also not detected in a whole different system, it may just be...dead.

I've had that happen.

Dead drives happen.

Solution
Nov 17, 2020

I've had that happen.

Dead drives happen.

Yeah, I think you're right. Do you have any experience of these recovery software that claim to be able to read "dead SSDs"? (Recoverit, easeus etc.) The websites did not instill a whole lot of confidence. Maybe a data centre is the best bet. Thanks, appreciate it.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, I think you're right. Do you have any experience of these recovery software that claim to be able to read "dead SSDs"? (Recoverit, easeus etc.) The websites did not instill a whole lot of confidence. Maybe a data centre is the best bet. Thanks, appreciate it.
Those are good for possibly recovering things that were accidentally deleted or a formatted drive. If the PC can't see it, a consumer level tool will not work.
I rely on my own backup routine.

With my dead 960GB SanDisk SSD, they confirmed it was dead dead dead.