[SOLVED] SSD on legacy motherboard (with SATA)

Nov 12, 2019
Hi there,

I have a 12 y.o. desktop computer, P4 3ghz with ASRock 775i65G https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/775i65G/ motherboard. This board has a couple of SATA I ports. I'm struggling to make a SATA III Kingston A400 SSD work in this computer.

Facts so far:
*The MoBo has 2 SATA I ports. They work properly with SATA I HDD.
*The A400 SSD works properly (at least it seems to) in newer computers.
*The BIOS (updated to latest available version 3.3) recognises the SSD, but the PC is unable to boot from it. The bios is unable to boot from another SandDisk SSD or WDGreen SSD too.
*The SandDisk SSD has a 18.04 Ubuntu O.S but the A400 is absolutely clean and unable to be seen under a live version of Ubuntu. Neither Gparted nor Baobab can see the SSD. Remember the previous fact: it can be seen in the BIOS.
*I have changed all the BIOS options, some of them related to HD, others related to IDE with no success. The problem seen here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bpbbw4k1Gc
was already solved for me.

Question:
*Is the 577i65G MoBo unable to run SSD disks? I have found none about this, but the latest BIOS rev. was released on 2009 while first NAND based SSD were sold from 2010 and on.

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Hi.

The A400 SSD is only compatible with SATA II and SATA III ports, in this case the board only have SATA I ports that are not compatible with the SSD that you have.
Nov 12, 2019
So, acording to your post, any SATA I SSD (or SATA I compatible) should work, isn't it?

Where can I find a list of such devices? It seems to me it could be hard to find nowadays those old SSD's

So, acording to your post, any SATA I SSD (or SATA I compatible) should work, isn't it?

Where can I find a list of such devices? It seems to me it could be hard to find nowadays those old SSD's

Correct, if you can find a SATA II backwards compatible with SATA I, that should work.

You can try to find some used one on ebay, but that is a lottery too.